SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Hooray!! We got the house!

Lars
15 years ago

I'm at work, and so I can't say much now, but I couldn't wait to post this message! I told me co-worker at work this morning, "You don't know how happy I will be if I get this house," and then I checked my voice mail, and there was a message to call my agent. I thought at first there was going to be something wrong, but instead I got the wonderful news. I think have a Jupiter return (Jupiter conjunct natal Jupiter) helped put me over the top!

More news later this evening.

Lars

Comments (45)

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Lars! That is so wonderful. Congratulations to you and Kevin. The house is so adorable and perfect for the two of you (and sis). So when do you settle? Any plans underway for a housewarming party??

I am very happy for you.

• goldgirl
    15 years ago

Yay Lars!! Great news :)

• Related Discussions

Hooray, we saved 3/4 of our tree bench

Q

Comments (1)
    Nice save! They would really enjoy it over on the Garden Junk forum! It's certainly not "junk" but many people would toss it out for landfill instead of "saving it" We love stuff like that! TFS Jan
    ...See More

We finally got our house!

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks for all the well wishes! I will have to go over there this weekend and take pictures. It was so hot last weekend that I didn't feel up to doing anything. Bob cut down some branches on the neighbor's tree that was taking over our side yard. Hopefully they won't even notice. lol Lots of weeding to be done. There are some pretty hostas, the old standby orange daylilies and a pretty red barberry bush that is planted too close to the house in the front. I'm tempted to transplant it to the backyard but those dang prickers! Some kind of small tree needs to be cut down in the back. It's growing up right next to the house over the airconditioner. Bob and I were at HD looking at things for the house. I was looking at floor tile and when the clerk asked if he could help me, I said, "No, I'm just dreaming." lol Flooring, lighting, paint colors ... so much to do and so many selections to choose from! It is a bit overwelming.
    ...See More

HOORAY! We finally got a house!

Q

Comments (4)
    Congratulations! For your housewarming, here's a virtual Loaf of fresh homemade bread so that you'll never go hungry; A bottle of good wine so that your new home and everything that goes on in it will be joyous; Salt so that there will always be spice in your life; A candle so that you will always have light; and Sugar to symbolize the hope for a sweet life in your new home. /tricia
    ...See More

We have a showing tomorrow! Hooray!

Q

Comments (5)
    Well, still waiting to hear something. They looked at our house yesterday, and they were here a long time. (Yes, I looked on from a neighbors, waiting to go back to my house - lol!) I'd love to get an offer! Foggyj, I'm in TN. Good luck to you -- hope your house sells quickly!
    ...See More
  • BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

How wonderful Lars! I'm so happy for you!! And thanks for letting us know. When will you get to move in?

Beverly

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Wow, that was fast! Let's hope the closing is quick too.

I look forward to the "new owner" reports.

• jcrowley99
    15 years ago

Congratulations! That is so exciting.

Joanne

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

That's great news Lars! Congratulations to you and Kevin. I'm sure you'll be very happy there.

And what a wonderful time you're going to have in that big kitchen!

SharonCb

• compumom
    15 years ago

Whoohoo, whoohoo whoohoo!!!! Congrats to both you and Kevin on your fabulous purchase!
    Ellen

• claire_de_luna
    15 years ago

Lars, Let me add my Congratulations as well! It's always good to have Jupiter giving its gifts when your turn rolls around. Enjoy the peace before the big move and have fun making plans.

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Congratulations Lars! How exciting!

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

Wonderful news Lars and Kevin! I'm so happy for you (but have to admit I'm sad that you won't be coming to Denver next month).

I can't wait to hear more about your closing and moving dates.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Lee

• sands99
    15 years ago

That's *great* news, Congratulations! Enjoy your new kitchen! (and start doing finger pushups to get your hand in shape to sign all those darn papers!!)

• triciae
    15 years ago

How exciting! I'm very happy for you & Keven, Lars. Spring is perfect timing...a time of renewal & new things. It's a great house & I'm sure you'll create many wonderful memories both in that kitchen & around the fire pit.

Anxious to hear when you're closing...

Best wishes,
    /tricia

• brenda55
    15 years ago

Lars, congratulations! I do hope you will share pictures as you put your special design touch on the house to make it your home. How long before closing?

Brenda

• cloudy_christine
    15 years ago

Great news!

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Lars, that is wonderful! I'm really happy for you and Kevin!!!

Nancy

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Oh, happy day! Nice to hear some good news for a change and feel happy for your friends! It's a cute house with a nice kitchen. I hope you and Kevin have fun moving in and making it yours!
    Teresa

• User
    15 years ago

Oh Lars I am so happy for both of you! it's a great house and you are going to be so happy making it your own.

When do you move in?

• trixietx
    15 years ago

Congratulations. That's great!

• Lars
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm at work and don't get off early today, but I have time for a brief message.

I don't know when closing is, but in the agreement, we have only 10 days for inspection, and Kevin has already booked an inspector for tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. The house looks like it's in great condition, and so I don't forsee any problems, but one never knows.

Once we move, I'll be able to take lots of pictures again. We'll be able to get some of Kevin's paintings out of storage in the garage and hang them again, and Kevin says he wants to use the den area as an art studio, possibly because it has a skylight. This means he will get back to painting again, which is a very good thing, and I will set my sewing machines up in one of the extra bedrooms and have a dedicated area for sewing.

I'm so thrilled at finally getting the space we need!

Lars

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Congrats Lars! I am thrilled for you and Kevin :-)

Alexa

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Yay! That is great news, and man, that took no time at all!

Congreatulations to both of you! Glad you will finally have the space to spread out and et back to the things you love!

Will you still have citrus trees in your back yard?

Linda

• lindac
    15 years ago

Yee! Haw!!

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Happy House Day Lars!

I was wondering about the citrus too. I saw that one tree between the house and the fire pit patio and I wondered if it was a citrus tree. To me it looked like and apple tree, but then I thought, no Lpink, in CA they get to grow citrus in the backyard!

You must be so excited!!

• susie_que
    15 years ago

Lars!!
    I am so happy for you CONGRATS!!

I would love it if you can photograph Kevins Art to share here??

Enjoy your newest dwelling!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• annie1992
    15 years ago

I'm happy that you're happy, if that makes sense, and so glad for you.

The house sounds perfect for you and Kevin and I'm just waiting to see what wonderful things you do to it to make it your own. You are so talented, and I didn't know that Kevin painted but I'm not surprised. The house is already very nice, it's going to be spectacular by the time you're done.

I hope you get a fig tree and some citrus, though, I know how you enjoyed those.

Annie

• maggie2094
    15 years ago

Yippeeee! I am thrilled for you and Kevin. Sending good vibes that everything goes smoothly!

• Lars
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susie, I put a link to Kevin's on-line art gallery below.

I definitely plan to plant citrus trees in the back yard - a dwarf Meyer lemon and probably a lime tree. I probably won't plant an orange tree because I haven't been eating that many oranges, but I really like the limes. The existing tree in the back yard is an apricot, and I might take that out and replace it with a dwarf avocado. I don't think I'll plant figs again - they are a bit too messy. I could conceivably plant a fig in the front, and maybe also a silk floss tree, since they make beautiful flowers and both trees are drought tolerant.

I have some bizarre stories to tell you about Kevin's experience today while he was waiting for something to be delivered. He told me he walked down our street (Abbot Kinney) and went past a bunch of film cameras/trucks that were making a commercial for some kind of energy drink (he told me the name, but I forgot), and then he got some gelato at the ice cream shop and continued walking. Next he ran into a woman in a black bikini and stiletto heels who was also being filmed, and she approached him and asked him about his ice cream. It seemed that she wanted him to take her to the ice cream shop, but later she asked him which direction the beach was and decided to go there instead. I'm not sure how much of this was filmed, but some of it might end up on YouTube.

Lars

Here is a link that might be useful: Kevin's art gallery

• sheshebop
    15 years ago

Congratulations Lars! I can't wait to see it after you get done with it, as artsy and creative as you are.
    Definitely plant a few fruit trees now so you can start getting your own fruit within several years.
    You must be very excited.

• User
    15 years ago

Lars I'm so happy for you and Kevin. Can't wait to see how your make this house your home.

Ann

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

I've heard apricot flowers smell nice. I love the smell of apple blossoms. I'll bet citrus blossoms are out of this world! I didn't plant a dwarf cherry in my small yard specifically because I did't want to smell their acrid blooms. That and I knew the birds and squirrels would drag cherries all over my close neighborhood making me unpopular with my neighbors. One year I planted sunflowers along my fence and the squirrels tore off the flower heads and dragged them all over the neighborhood and ripped them up to get at the seeds. People were finding my sunflowers torn to shreds in their lawns and on their porches and patios!

Anyway, it looks like the house is very spacious with a nice private yard. And yes, very nice kitchen too!

• Lars
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We did our first inspection today, and I took measurements so that I could draft a floor plan to help us with space planning. I think the art studio space is going to be interesting. The owners did a good job of opening up the space, and I can easily see what was added after doing the floor plan. I can see how the original kitchen was, which was very small, but I think the current space will be workable, although I would still like to have more cabinets. I have a feeling that I already have as much storage in my current kitchen as in the new one, although the new one is much more spacious. I won't get to keep my new stove, but the one in the new kitchen is almost identical - although a bit older. I'll have to sell my electric dryer because the new house only has a gas connection.

The back yard has a very small citrus tree, but I don't know what kind, and it doesn't appear to be doing that well - probably because they did not put it in a sunny enough part of the yard. There are several trees that I cannot identify, and some them I may prefer to replace. I'm going to miss my mango tree, and I might not replace it, since it requires a lot of water.

Lars

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

You and Kevin have waited a long time for more space. I'm really happy for you both Lars!

Beverly

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Wow. Wow. I checked out Kevin's gallery and now I realize that I DID know he painted because I've seen "The Upbringing" which I really like.

The "Portrait of Matthew", though, that's just spectacular.

Oh, and I think apricots smell lovely and I really like the fruit too.

Annie

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

How exciting, Lars. I'm so happy for you and your family! Nothing's better than getting the space to pursue your art!

Sally

• Bizzo
    15 years ago

YAY!!! all the crossed fingers, toes, positive energy and prayers worked! I'm very happy for you!!

• dlynn2
    15 years ago

Kevin's artwork is amazing. You are both so talented and creative.

• Lars
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finished drafting the floor plan, and it looks like we are going to have plenty of space to hang all of Kevin's very large paintings, one of which I have in my bedroom right now. I'll be able to put it into my new bedroom, but we will also be able to hang most of the artwork we have in storage in the garage, and it should make for an interesting space. Plus, once Kevin has a new art studio, he will be able to create new large paintings! Maybe he will be able to sell some of them, although he is reluctant to let anything go.

Lars

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

Lars Im so happy for you...I viewed your site and your story (bio) really touched me....your work is wonderful,amazing,beautiful...you are a very talanted person...good for you!!!!

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

Ohhh thats Kevins work...wow you both are amazing people...some people just amaze me...I hope you two have a great life in your new house!

• triciae
    15 years ago

Lars, thank you for posting the link to Kevin's gallery. Please tell him that I thoroughly enjoyed browsing & that he's got tremendous talent.

I know SoCA is loaded with art shows but if he's ever interested, the annual Mystic Art Festival is considered the premier northeast juried art show & I sure would love to see him exhibit. (Many say it's one of the country's best art shows?!) Last year, I believe the crowd size was about 100,000 coming from all over the world to attend. The show draws thousands of people from Europe as well as the US. So, tell Kevin I'd love to see his work displayed here.

What artistic talent in your family! I attended Rocky Mountain School of Art & Design (Fine Arts major) and was just happy to get through that program without too many incidents of serious humiliation...although there were a few projects I'd rather not discuss! lol

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystic Art Festival - 2009 Application

• brenda55
    15 years ago

Lars, thanks for sharing Kevin's works...he is so very talented. I loved all of his pictures, but especially the one of the feed store, as you could almost read the story in the picture, or am I biased beause my grandparents had a grocery store in a small TX town, too. How did you and Kevin both amass such talent? Is your entire family as talented, or did you and Kevin get it all?

Brenda

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

I'm so glad that I returned to this thread. Kevin's background and his talents are so very interesting; and I thought Lars had the diverse talents in the family.

I thought it was neat too that one of Kevin's pieces is just down the road from me--The Steamship Agent, in Valrico.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Congratulations to the both of you!!

I remember seeing Kevin's work several years ago, glad to hear you will have more room in the new place to display it.

David

• Lars
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trica, Kevin won first place in a juried exhibition of the Mohawk-Hudson Region in 1993, when he was a student at SUNY Albany. He also won a prize in a San Diego Watercolor exhibition contest, but then my furniture designs have also won awards, including Best Interior Lighting for 1999 from the International Association of Interior Designers for a chandelier I designed. This chandelier was recently purchased for a prince's bedroom in Saudi Arabia. This client bought several of my lighting designs.

Cathy, there are two of Kevin's paintings in Valrico, although I have no idea where that is, although I think it is near Orlando. I met the buyer when I visited Kevin in Albany.

As for our family talent - that is a rather strange story. Half of the family is artistic or musically gifted (my mother majored in music at North Texas and sang opera to me as a child), and the other half is strictly business - many uncles were bank presidents and my sister is a banking lawyer. One uncle who was a bank president in Lubbock married an opera singer from New York, and one of their children became a violin player with no interest in banking whatsoever.

Lars

• petaloid
    15 years ago

I missed the original thread -- good for you!!!

The house looks beautiful and Westchester is not too far away. I feel sure you will be very happy there.