SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spunbondwarrior

"Please Secure Your Wireless Networks"

spunbondwarrior
10 years ago

Something that as a rather paranoidEac I have no personal concerns over. I am well aware that when it comes to my personal PC "security" views and efforts I am somewhat of an outlier.

PLEASE be aware that the season of scoundroling is upon and that there are millions of script kiddies "out there" who are spending every waking minute of their summer break trying to become the hacker of your worst dreams. And some of them are good, real good. And the professional criminal types and the variety of threats they pose are growing in numbers and ability by the day. There are some folks, even some SE Linux users, who are so fearful of such things that they would never ever go online and/or do anything of any importance requiring even the most marginal security in any other way than via an anonymous "Live" CD/DVD/Key.

Though Linux is currently the least likely to be hacked of systems (if you are really paranoid you can always do yourself an OpenBSD installation), personal consideration preparation and responsibility is the key to keeping what is yours, yours. I don't care if you run a Linux, a BSD, a Unix or an MSWin PC, lack of attention to detail will ultimately lead to a lack of privacy data funds and all sorts of whatever you want to remain yours remaining yours.

There are many folks for whom such articles as the link should most definitely read and considered. Like all of us. Even the paranoid and the pro's need the occasional reminder. Even those of us who live 1.25 miles off the road with a single electric line as our sole "connection" to the outside world are not immune to anything, >>>especially

Here is a link that might be useful: Secure neighbors make for secure neighborhoods

Comment (1)

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

A simple message buried in an avalanche of unnecessary words. The heading is enough for direction - home WIFIs should have WPA2 enabled.

On the other hand, little mischief is accomplished on the millions of unsecured signals that exist. Newer versions of Windows require password authentication anyway, so with that and a firewall, it's hard to imagine there's much risk of unwanted access.

Paranoid souls always have the option to turn off their WIFI signal and simply use hardwire connections.