SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockmanor

Correcting errors and omissions

rockmanor
15 years ago

I wasn't sure whether to post here or in remodeling, but since BaH has more traffic, I thought I'd try here. Before we bought this builder's spec house, I had it inspected and the HI found no major problems. When we first moved in, we were overwhelmed by a family medical crisis (the reason for the move), then I developed some health problems as well. Since getting back on my feet I've found a problem or two nearly every week.

A new discovery is in the basement garages. As is typical around here, the garage ceilings are not drywalled but walls adjoining finished living space are drywalled. However, in one garage, I just found there is no insulation or drywall behind a ventless gas fireplace in the game room. When going into that garage at night, I saw light through an opening that turned out to be a cable connection above the fp. The builder says everything was done to code. I'm still waiting on him to correct several other problems and don't expect him to do anything about this. I've tried contacting the local bldg. inspection supervisor, but so far no luck.

Dh asked me to find companies who do spray foam insulation, preferably fire rated, and get quotes on doing both basement garages. He also asked me about spray foam on the underside of the attic roof. Are these good ideas (both the garage and attic)? Should we also install drywall in the garage over the approx. 6 X 10 wall section behind the fp after the spray foam? We'll have to remove something that was installed in front of the "gap" and then replace it after we tape & mud the drywall. Also, must we drywall the garage ceiling? If we have the spray foam insulation installed in the garage ceilings, should I be concerned about the multitude of pipes and wires that run below the main level floor? Do they all just get encapsulated in the foam?

Can we expect spray foam insulation in the basement garages to help with temperature control in both the finished basement and the rooms over the basement garages? Since we're in the south and are more concerned with cooling than heating, would it be better to spend the money on a radiant barrier in the attics instead of spray foam? We tried a DIY foil product in the attic of a previous house and got little relief. It may have been coincidence, but we also developed cell phone reception problems (T-M had a tower down near us, too, we later learned.)

I have other concerns such as loud noises (sometimes sounds like a rifle shot) that the builder dismissed as drying wood &/or related to the furnace that have continued into the summer, water that pools on the flagstone patios near the french doors instead of draining off into the lawn, bathroom exhaust fans that are loud but ineffective (and look like ugly recessed lights), several leaded glass single pane windows that transmit heat/cold & in one case leaks, a whole house audio system that reacts to the TV remote, etc., etc. Then there are a host of mainly cosmetic problems that I'm trying to tackle a few at a time. Hope you don't mind if I come back for more advice.

Comments (8)