SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maineman_gw

RockyRich - Mighty Mac blade change

maineman
17 years ago

RockyRich,

You recently sent me an email through the GardenWeb, but unfortunately you have not checked the box to allow members to send you emails through GardenWeb, so I will answer your question here. It's probably better to do it this way, anyway. It's to your advantage to post your questions here in the open forums because it gives others the chance to "chime in" and correct any errors or omissions that they see in the responses. Your emailed question was:

"I recently purchased a used predecessor to the pull along pt10, quite old but gets the job done. I am curious as to how to take off the chipper blade for sharpening. Do you reach in through the chipper chute and use an allen wrench on the three screws? That seems to be the most straightforward."

I have the similar MacKissic 10PT9. On my machine you don't go in through the chipper chute itself, but there is a nearby access plate that you remove and then you do use an allen wrench to remove the three screws that secure the knife to the flywheel. When you loosen the screws you will probably be breaking LocTite threadlocker seals, so expect some resistance.

When you replace the screws, it is important to use LocTite 243 threadlocker on the screws and tighten the screws well. Make sure you use the 243 grade of LocTite, which allows you to break the seal at a later time. There is a "tighter" grade of LocTite that is permanent and would be very difficult or impossible to loosen at a later date. I plan to wait a day or so before I use my machine to give the LocTite time to "cure", although my instructions don't say anything about that. The blade takes a lot of impact and vibration and you don't want the screws to vibrate loose during operation, because bad things could happen.

My manual cautions you to take care when sharpening the blade to maintain the correct bevel and a straight edge. After re-installing the sharpened knife blade, you should check the clearance between the knife and the wear plate, and reposition the wear plate if necessary. It probably will be necessary. On my machine, the gap should measure between a minimum of 1/32 inch and a maximum of 1/16 inch. To adjust this clearance, loosen the three -20 nylock nuts, which are located on the outside of the chipper wear plate. Move the wear plate in or out as necessary and tighten the ¼-20 nylock nuts securely.

The plastic gauge that they included with my blade replacement kit has a thickness of 1/16" and a groove with a thickness of about 1/32". I'll probably try for a setting of about 1/32" because I think the gap probably increases with the wear of usage and I think the machine runs smoother when cutting thinner chips.

You mentioned that you would like to get manuals for your old machine if you can. That's a good idea because the manual has a whole section on the maintenance of your shredder-chipper. You need to grease the main bearing every 10 hours of use, adjust the belt tension or replace the V-belt if it is badly worn, reverse the hammermill hammers if they are worn, change oil in your engine, clean or replace the air filter, etc. The manuals give you details on how to do that stuff.

You might want to contact MacKissic directly about getting the manuals for your shredder-chipper and the separate engine manual. For a second possibility, contact the MacKissic distributor for your area. And there is always Google or another search engine, and possibly eBay as well.

MM

Comments (21)