SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
w0lley32

fridge needs a new compressor again, fix or toss?

w0lley32
11 years ago

Hi! My 75-yr old mother bought a Kitchen Aid fridge with freezer on the bottom about 2 years ago to replace a 27-yr old GE (which is still running strong). About a month after she bought it, the compressor went bad and the company didn't want to replace the fridge, so they sent a guy who put in a new compressor. Now the fridge is acting the same way it did before the compressor went bad (popping sounds, successive relay closing sounds but compressor does not start) and the company tech says it needs a new compressor but since it's more than a year old labor is not included in the warranty.

Now we are wondering if there is a reason why a replacement compressor, if installed properly, would not last very long? We are starting to think that there's a problem with the fridge that puts a strain on the compressor and my mom is not sure that this 1500$ fridge is worth fixing over and over.

If this was your fridge, would you fix it again, or put it on the curb and shop for a new one?

If shop for a new one, which brand? I have heard and read here and elsewhere to stay away from GE, but that's what she was told when she bought the previous fridge and also I have a friend who bought a GE 6 years ago and is satisfied. Considering that Kitchen Aid/Amana/Whirlpool/Maytag is all the same company I would imagine the technology behind their fridges is all the same?

Are Samsung or LG any good?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (12)