SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

question for those with children sleeping on a different level

illinigirl
10 years ago

we are proceeding with our building plans- ranch with master on the first floor, a second bedroom for our special needs child to be near us on the first floor, and then 2 bedrooms in a finished walkout basement, and 2 bedrooms over the garage.

The master is at the opposite end of the garage. The only staircase up and down is near the garage. So the secondary bedrooms for the kids will be either over the garage or in the basement. I am leaning towards having them in the basement as I feel in case of fire they can escape more easily. I am planning on a security system so I will hear when doors open/close. I am going to install cameras in some rooms for the special needs child, if necessary I could install them in the other kids rooms to be used on an 'as needed' basis.

But either way, the secondary bedrooms will be a good distance from the master. In theory I'm fine with this, but is this a bad practice? In extreme emergency let's say i can't access the stairs because of fire....so then i'd have to go outside through the front door and to the back to access the kids from the back of the house through their windows or slider door (with heavy glass breaking object in hand). The kids will be 13 and 7 by the time the build is theoretically completed.

Is there a good rule of thumb or standard good practice for accessing the kids rooms who sleep on other levels?

thanks

Comments (19)