SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doug_gb

Viking Refrigerator Defrost Saga

doug_gb
14 years ago

My 2 yr old Viking refrigerator started to act up - it would defrost the evaporator, but the condensate would not drain - it froze to the floor of the freezer, and eventually ran out on the floor.

It took me about a year (five service calls, two different authorized repair companies) to get this fixed. All the while I defrosted the freezer every month (with a hair dryer).

The final solution was to replace two circuit boards ( $233 + $80 trip charge ).

What is the most disturbing is the way Viking handled this. After several failed attemps at having the unit serviced, I called Viking and explained their autorized tech's didn't fix the unit. I described the problem in detail. I asked them to speak to a factory rep - who could tell me the solution - so I could tell my tech what to do. Viking refused - they stated that they couldn't tell me because of liability reasons. What a crock - ever have the car dealer tell you that they can't tell you what's wrong with your car because of liability reasons?

Although I'm basically satisfied with my Viking applicances, I don't like doing business with a secretive, stonewalling company.

Comments (3)