SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

How does one become adept at 'small talk'?

caliloo
15 years ago

I got together with a few people the other night - not close friends, just acquaintenances, and I realized that I am really not very good at small talk. The conversation ranged from the TV show The Bachelor, to which t-ball coach has the best winning record (I thought t-ball was about the kids having fun!) to the Obamas choice of dog breed. I was bored senseless! I really don't give a rats patoot who the Bachelor is going to propose to or who he humiliated on national TV.

My mind kept drifting off to issues like where the school board is going to cut the last $500,000 from next years budget, to the stimulus package to how our current Congressman is disappointing constituents all across the area he represents.

I even have trouble following the mindless chat enough to make the appropriate noises and head nods.... it just seems so brainless to me! Needless to say, one of the women mentioned to me (privately) that a few of those present think I am a snob since I didn't participate much in the conversation.

So what are the tricks to staying on topic when the topic bores you silly?

Alexa

Comments (20)