SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakeguy35

Idol chat anyone???

lakeguy35
15 years ago

Looks like they have changed things up some this year. I've only really watched since Underwood won a few years back. So far this year I caught a show while on the road last week where they did the group thing...too much drama for me. Watched some last night and tonight...for sure a couple of drama queens and kings..lol.

So, anyone else gonna follow this years season?

I don't really know any of them yet so I'm interested to see what they have to offer.

David

Comments (28)

• wizardnm
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Guess you could say I'm hooked on it.
    Watched tonight and that screaming girl will be back, I really don't care for her. Read somewhere that they are planning on having a vote for the two that should go first and that's why they put the screamer and the comedian in the top 36.

Really glad 'bikini girl' didn't get any further than she did.
    Hope the oil rig guy does well.....

Nancy

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

I'll wait until the final 12. Even then I may not have time to watch.

• Related Discussions

Anyone watching American Idol?

Q

Comments (19)
    I've watched AI since its inception and IMO, this is the worse season of talent. Not sure why they put through that guy with the longish, curly hair who can't sing AT ALL. There were so many better than him. Don't remember his name. I'm really enjoyed Keith on the show, which I had my doubts how he would be, but, I like him in that capacity. I'm not a Nicki fan, but, most of the time I agree with her thoughts on the contestants performances/singing. She doesn't have a filter and maybe that's what I like about her. Mariah is a snooze for me, and Randy, well, he's just Randy. I hope these contestants get better, because as of now, they are ALL boring...IMO.
    ...See More

Chat anyone????

Q

Comments (1)
    Liz, I see I'm too late for a chat. :) I wish I had seen this last night. I've been doing a lot of yard work and haven't been here much the past few days. I would have loved to have spent some time with a KT friend. Linda
    ...See More

Did Anyone Tape Idol Last Night?

Q

Comments (4)
    So sorry, I used my DVR and then erased it. You did miss a good one - except for when the whole AI group sang Rob Thomas and Santana's "smooth" - now that was plain butchery! And, Rod Stewart is simply getting to old, is losing his voice and needs to stand still when he sings and please Rod, dont' sing about having to get back to school after Maggie breaks up with ya - you are just too darn old to carry it off, now *LOL* Other than that ( and I'm sure lots loved Rod) it was really a great show!
    ...See More

Anyone planning to chat up the swap anytime soon?

Q

Comments (7)
    Between the cold and snow which I thought was never going to let anything break dormancy and how unattractive I find the Houzz typeface and layout, I just haven't been coming around much. But this week the monkshood finally poked some leaves up and then today I found a goldheart bleeding heart above ground, and that loud poooop was a peony stem pulling itself out of the wet soil. So I guess there will be life after this winter after all and things to divide for the swap. And I think the Spring plants are all going to bloom in one four-week bang. Then it will be summer.
    ...See More
  • mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I get hooked every year, we rarely go out mid week so watching Idol is easy entertainment; I think a few of the guys are just amazing singers, no females have struck me as extraordinary yet.

Oil rig guy and welder guy are both in; they are such a contrast to the really younger ones though.

It's way more interesting when they are down to the final 10, I must admit.

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

I get drawn in every single year. Usually in the beginning of the season it's waaaaay to much drama going on. So, I watch intermittingly through the first couple weeks. But when it gets down to the last 12 contestants, I'm in for the long haul. I watch it every night it's on and I don't move LOL.

The welder, oil rig guy and the young man that lost his wife to cancer 4 weeks before the competition started are really good. Oh yeah, the first night of competition when the guy that Simon said was dressed kind of "geeky" with the dark hair. When he opened his mouth to sing I was shocked at what a soulful voice he had. The voice doesn't match the guy?

• shaun
    15 years ago

I'm hooked on it. Never missed a season.

• loagiehoagie
    15 years ago

I had an early fave, Meghan, but I haven't seen her so I have a feeling she might have been cut. It really is mindless clap-trap, but what the heck. Sometimes that is exactly what the doctor ordered. From what I have seen this should be a good year. Lots of talented people. Some really amazing singers. Not going to pick anyone yet or else I might jinx them like I did my girl Meghan!

Duane

• susie_que
    15 years ago

So glad to see this thread today!!

I see so many I really like early on!!

Of course I like the tough guys...both seem to have such a kind way about them...I was impressed with the bald fellow when he responded to Simon asking why he chose the song he sang...He said in a quiet manner "I love that song".
    I doubt either will actually win but at least they are out there and who knows, maybe they will get to the top 10 and go on tour.
    I also liked the guy with the poofy afro who forgot the words to the song...I think his voice was a smooth as silk. I could listen to him all day!!
    I also liked the guy who is of middle eastern decent...whoa what a voice he had!!
    The guy who just lost his wife is amazing too...how he can be some composed is fantastic-he will go far I predict!!

The standout ladies were Lil (Rounds) I think?? as well as the young mom with pink in her hair, the girl from New York who played guitar as well as our Phiily Gal Joanna Pacitti who did go to our high school (Both Frank and I went as well as Amy) Amy's best friend's sis is really good friends with her...anyhoo she just needs to relax a bit and stop crying LOL!!

Amy called me one night a few weeks ago, she was watching AI and said "ONG!! OMG!! I know that girl I know that girl!!! Shes best friends with Kellys sister LOL!!!"
    Also one of the young girls at work knows her real well too!!

I wish her all the best but I think there are better ladies in this competition this year...she'll prob make it to the top 10 though.

As for Tatianna (the screamer) I think they just keep her around to make it interesting and keep people talking as we are doing here. Her voice is only so-so and its my guess she'll be voted out as soon as America gets to vote.

I will be joing the pool at work this year...who knows if I'll win but it should be fun!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• shaun
    15 years ago

What do you all think about "Norman Gentle?" I was shocked that they let him go to Hollywood in the first place. He belongs on a cruise ship for entertainment.

• stacy3
    15 years ago

Duane, if it's the girl with the long straight hair and the tattoos on her one arm - recently divorced - she's still in! She was one of my faves too and Will and I spotted her. Not sure why they haven't shown her lately though. We also liked the tattooed rocker girl early on who sang Barracuda - CUT. The little blonde girl - Rose - CUT. And recently I liked Frankie - who auditioned with an Amy Winehouse song - CUT. Megan's all we have left - LOL...of our early faves. She was really cool, though.

Shaun, I can't believe some of the good people who go home while he stays. I don't get it. And how the heck old is he? He looks old!

oh and Susie, I just read on the website that Joanna is ineligible to continue - they replaced her.

Stacy

• sheshebop
    15 years ago

I also love the geeky guy who lost his wife, but I also loved his best friend, the guy who got cut last night. I thought that was a mistake.
    I pray that they get rid of the crazy girl soon. She is horribly annoying. Also, the guy with the two personas..Norman? Puh-leeze. He is weird and does not sing that well.
    I like the guys this year. Much stronger IMHO.

• loagiehoagie
    15 years ago

Stacy, thanks! I watched the 2nd half of last nights' show at my dad's house today and spotted her in the group. I thought she was way cool too, and thought she had an edgy cool voice. I can't believe they let Norman Gentle through and cut some of the better ones? Ratings is all I can think of. Something different to get people talking. My dad likes him and thinks he could go all the way. I just looked at him and said I don't share that opinion and laughed.

I also like the girl from New York with the long black hair. I can't remember her name but she is really good has some real substance. Many of the guys are great too, but I like looking at the pretty girls LOL!

Kattiana belongs in a mental hospital. When she gets cut, and she will, I hope she doesn't do anything stupid to herself. She looks like the kind of person who might.

Duane

• susie_que
    15 years ago

Oh wow I just heard about Joanna...drats, what a shame.
    Too bad they let her go this long I mean they knew who she was when she auditioned.
    Prob some loophole in her old contract.

Not to be harsh but as I said I didn't feel she was going to be the winner...there are girls who are much stronger then she is but I wish her all the best.

Amy will be home this weekend so I see if her pals have any other info.

I forgot about Megan....I also felt she was great and fun to boot.

There is a lot of good talent this year so each cut is going to be rough!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• dedtired
    15 years ago

I am just starting to watch. i don't know why they make us suffer through the early rounds. I haven't figured out who is quite yet, but of what I've heard, it is apparent that some have agreat deal more talent than others. So I guess I'll be watching from now on.

• shaun
    15 years ago

Yeah Stacy that Norman Gentle guy looks like he's too old for this competition.

• petaloid
    15 years ago

We like the stage musical guy with the black hair, and several of the others they are keeping in the competition.

Tatiana is nuts and it makes me nervous to watch her. Please, let her go home soon.

• lakeguy35
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Interesting how they changed things up this season. My top three for tonight are Melissa, Danny, and Ricky. I had to write the names down...lol! Mike, the oil rig guy picked the wrong song but I still like him. I use to rock out to that number and he just didn't hit it for me. I like the guy that did country, he just picked the wrong song too....but I'm one of the few here that likes country. The guy that sang Jackson's song was way off and the girl that did the Police/Sting number was off too and her hair reminded me of Loretta Lynn from way back when....yes I love Loretta too. Tatiana(sp) is just a strange chick IMO. That's my take for tonight....intersting that they are letting us vote this ealry in the game.

David

• sheshebop
    15 years ago

I am for Danny, Ricky and pink hair girl, but I also like Anoop. Tatiana has a great voice, but I do NOT want her in the contest. I just know she is schizoid and will go nuts again, and it annoys the dickens out of me. Ricky is probably another Elliot Yamin: great voice but needs a new image. I love Danny. He is going to be very popular I think.

• dedtired
    15 years ago

I liked the little pink hair girl and the Braddy bunch guy. Anoop did well -- thank heavens he's not another Sanjaya. Yes, a few were done in by their song choices. The judges seemed to like the first girl, but I did not at all.

A couple of them might do better as the contest goes along so I hope they get a chance. Others, I hope I don't have to listen to again!

Do you actually vote? I hardly ever have done that, maybe once or twice.

• susie_que
    15 years ago

Howdie all...very intersting night!

First of all, what the heck was up with interviewing the families?? I get that they were there to support the singers but I think at this stage, where most of them are done, its really not neccesary to meet the family so to speak...and I just felt terrible for Steven who had no one there.
    I guess they were stretching for time.

So here is the list for 2/17 in order...

Jackie (a little more satisfaction) A lot of energy and she could really work the crowd but her gritty voice did not work for this song. I was disappointed with Jackie and was really hoping she did better.
    Ricky (a song for you) the fellow looked so nervous. His voice was strong! I liked him but I don't think he has the look or attitude-but maybe that what they are looking for.
    Alexis (Never loved a man) well I liked her a lot but I am not buying the soul part one bit. I would like to see her sing more her age. She also looked very stiff-I didn't think she was having fun. Her dad scared me.
    Brent (hicktown) I think this guy was really having fun. It was a good song for him and his voice was good. He is really cute too 'wink' I found him appealing and likable.
    Stevie (you belong to me) oh baby what a shame. The poor thing really could not pull it off. I think she knew it too...I think its her age-maybe keep at it and revisit AI in a year or 2.
    Anoop (angel of mine) well I really like this guy and I really love this song but for me it was not a great fit...I think he is better suited for somethink like matchbox 20 or jet...more up tempo, cutting edge. He has a great look.
    Casey (everything you do magic) was it me or was she off key the entire song? I think she is a much better singer then she appeared last night. She is beautiful and I hope she works on her voice and trys again in a few years.
    Michael (i don't wanna be) another guy I really want to like but his singing is just so so for me. I like his grit and determination but I really can't see him going on to do broadway week or 50's 60's week.
    AnnMarie (natural woman) oooh one of my all time favorite songs and she did it well. Again I think she had a lot of nerves going on and it would have been better if she had relaxed a bit. I like her-very classy young lady.
    Steven (rock with you) mmm I really wanted to like this guy too but I was let down, wrong song-should have done a ballad to showcase his smooth voice. I really like his hair!!
    Tatiana (savin all my lovin) all I can say is fake fake fake! She so wanted to go loco but held herself back. I wasn't blown away by her voice either...like Randy said there were parts that were good but no consistancy. I would have rather seen her do something latino to highlight her charisma but nada...adios!
    Danny (hero) well he rocked to say the least! He has a great voice and an endearing quality. I almost can't wait to hear him try new types of music...see him get jazzy ect...He has a great style and very likable.

Not sure how America is going to vote but my choices are Danny, Anoop and Alexis....Michael may get a wildcard vote later on.
    All in all I was surprized how poorly some did...plus I wish they would can the family part and focus on the singer alone.

Oh and what was Paula a lot loopier last night?? She had a lot of trouble stringing her thoughts together and looked as if she forgot what she was saying mid sentance??
    They need to lose her (jmho)

Cheers!
    Susie

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Susie -- you sure said it all and I sgree with you. Yes, Paula is so bizarre. She used to just repeat everything Randy said, but now that Kara is sitting between them, she is lost. Kara's comments are good. She obviously knows a lot about music and she makes Paula sounds extra dopey.

Simon is annoying. Of course, that is the role he plays. Did anyone else notice that he did his "half a moose" gesture? A thumb on his temple and the four fingers sticking up like a moose antler.

I'm not sure how the elimination is working. So there are three groups of 12 and they'll pick a few from each group? What happens if there are five really good people in one group and only one in another? That means good people are eliminated early and stinkers get to stay? Maybe I have it wrong.

• sheshebop
    15 years ago

dedtired, I think you have it right, and I am concerned about the same thing. Could let some real stinkers through the way it's set up. Also, if we are voting the top three from the 12 last night, well, we have only heard them one time. Maybe they can sing one song good and really suck at other songs. I would like to hear them sing a little more before I decided they were in the top. Letting just one or two go like they have done in the past at least allowed the top ones to sing a few more times.
    Not sure how this is gonna work. Oh well.
    I really like Danny the best so far. I think he has got charisma.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

This is the first year we've watched from the beginning . . . usually just watch the last couple weeks.

I think the three that went through tonight deserved it . . . there were a couple more that could easily have made it, but at least three of the best did. I really liked all three -- Danny was awesome!

AND we won't have to suffer through Tatiana any more. I thought it was interesting that all those who didn't make it were gracious and smiling . . . except Tatiana, who wept through the rest of the show. Even the 16-year old had more poise and grace.

Now if Norman Gentle just goes home . . .

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

Too bad Anoop was voted out, he had a bad night and I would have liked to see him go further. The older guy who won a spot doesn't say "idol" to me, how old is he ?

I think next week's group is going to be more interesting.

• susie_que
    15 years ago

Well 2 out of 3 isn't bad huh??

I picked Alexis, Danny and Anoop with Michael getting the wildcard...so now I hope Anoop gets the wildcard.

Tatiana had to know she was getting axed....especially since they already named Alexis as the girl winner...so she had plenty of time to compose herself.

I read that bikini girl is doing playboy. I say why bother?? We already saw most of her goodies anyway LOL!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• dedtired
    15 years ago

I'm confused. How does the wildcard work? Will one more person from Group 1 get picked? So it's the guy with the most votes, the girl with the most votes and the other person regardless of sex with the most votes from each group?

I really like Alexis. I think the big guy proves that people will vote for likableness (is that a word?)as much as for talent. He won't last, though.

Thank heaven Tatiana is gone. She was unbearable.

• susie_que
    15 years ago

The way I understood it is the top boy in votes and the top girl. Then the next highest vote getter regardless of sex.
    Then 3 wildcards will be chosen by the producers and judges to make up the final 12.

I do not know how those 3 wildcards will work, if it will be one from each group or just 3 random.

Should be fun!!

Next week there are a few that I really like!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Okay, now I get it. Later we will all have to post our own wildcard choices! Unfortunately the judges are as likely to choose based on entertainment value (think Sanjaya)as on true talent. Oh well, it's silly fun in stressful times and gives us something to talk about besides the economic downturn.

• lakeguy35
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not sure how old he is Mitch and I don't think he will go far at all. I think Anoop would have had a better chance. I'm glad to see Tatiana go, thouhgt she was self-centered and rude..didn't even give congrats to the winner.

I've heard various things about the wild card deal....all office talk. One was that each judge will pick three and the twelve will perform and be voted on. Don't have time to research it so it may just be idol gossip...lol!

David

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES