SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowball_gw

Building Cost Estimate

lowball
14 years ago

I am looking to build a new home in a developed neighborhood and am trying to determine my most advantageous way to submit a bid. The builder typical has 4 or 5 different models to choose from but ours would be a new plan that he hasn't built before. The design is similar to what he has built but I would argue less complex due to no living room. My first question is when looking at his existing inventory and price, should I take total price divided by total square foot, including finished basement, to arrive at a square foot cost or should I assume $40-50 per square foot to finish the basement and subtract that out of the total price. He has finished basements for others in the neighborhood for that price. Also assume same allowances in the base price.

My second question is we would add a separate two car garage, brick front, walk up storage above, not heated. The price they are suggesting is $117K which I think sounds crazy. The garage would face the street so we would likely have fancier doors as well.

The house would be built in a nice suburb outside Boston.

Comment