SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

New Computer

Cherryfizz
10 years ago

Hi Everyone. I bought a new computer yesterday a Lenovo Flex 15D Idea Pad to replace my XP work horse Lenovo Thinkpad Z60t which I had a long relationship with. I am finding Windows 8 will be a huge learning curve for me I am sure I will eventually learn. I have always had used computers and this is my first new computer and I need to know what I have to do or what programmes I need.

If only I could stop from hitting the pad with my wrists that changes the screen when I am in the middle of typing this message. I installed Adobe Flash Player, Java, Avast, the free trial Mcafee that came with the purchase, How do I get a Firewall? I was using the new Firefox Beta but it kept crashing on me so I started using IE which I have never used except to get Windows Updates. I use Yahoo as my email account but it looks different on Windows 8 and I can't make myself "unavailable" or even know now where to change it. I don't need people knowing I am online and I don't "chat"

Are there any updates I need to do with Lenovo. I tried to register my computer on the Lenovo site and it failed numerous times. I need to find an online Lenovo . manual so I can find out what all the key pad functions are. One other thing when I was setting up the computer Windows wanted my email but it wouldn't let me use my Yahoo account and wanted me to use Outlook which I don't have. When I sign into the computer it is with an outlook email. my user name at Outlook.com I don't have that account or a password for an Outlook email account. One other thing, the status bar at the top of the screen, the words are really tiny on both IE and Mozilla. Can that be changed. You all seem to know so much and I know very little about computers so I could really use your expertise. Thanks, Anne

Comments (14)