SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
66and76

Elegant Simplicity from Creating the Not So Big House

66and76
14 years ago

I am in love with the Elegant Simplicity plan from Sarah Susanka's Creating the Not So Big House, pp. 196--203. Have any of you built this plan? If so, would you please post interior/exterior pictures? The varied ceiling height, cross ventilation, porches, 1800 usable square feet would make me feel like I lived in a permanent vacation retreat. I found the upstairs floor plan on the site below.

http://www.orderhomeplans.com/exec/action/plans/browsemode/list/filter/nm.est-01/hspos/ohpnet/section/homeplans?pvs=isrp.true

Comments (49)

• srercrcr
    14 years ago

I'm not familiar with the book but the house I had built has porches, upstairs breezeway, last century design, modest sizing, and Junes's electric bill was only $125. Here's my previous post....

I designed my house to have flexible use and energy efficient.
    It has 1300 ft down and 800 up. My wife and I live down and the up is only used with company. The HVAC are two separate units with a door at the top of the stairs. Here in S Texas when temps get to upper 90s regularly, with abundant insulation over the second floor, upstairs has never seen over upper 80s, and that is the attic to my first floor. Wouldn't you like an attic that never gets super hot? Bottom line, highest electric bill has been $120.
    For those people who have youngsters it's just a two story house. When you become empty nesters, you shut down the up and enjoy the savings. No need to sell and find a smaller home. You still get good appreciation from a standard sized house...in this case a 3 bed, 3.5 bath setup.

pic...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• 66and76
    Original Author
    14 years ago

srercrcr, Thank you for the information. Your home is very attractive! We, too, would like to have an energy efficient house that the two of us can enjoy. The Elegant Simplicity plan has the majority of the living space downstairs with only one bedroom and a bath upstairs. I like your idea of a door at the top of the stairs; it would definitely lower the utility bills.

• Related Discussions

Simplicity, why so expensive?

Q

Comments (41)
    Massey Ferguson Lawn & Garden is a brand offered by Simplicity Manufacturing, Inc. Since its beginning in 1922, Simplicity has been an industry leader committed to designing, manufacturing, and marketing premium lawn and garden equipment. In addition to Massey Ferguson Lawn & Garden, Simplicity sells products under the brand names Simplicity, AGCO Lawn & Garden, Snapper, Snapper Pro, Ferris, and Giant-Vac. Manufactured for both residential and commercial use, Simplicity products are sold worldwide by more than 9,000 dealers and distributors. Simplicity Manufacturing is part of the Briggs & Stratton Power Products Group, L.L.C I copied the above from Agco's website.
    ...See More

wanted: i am so ex-sigh-ted! i made out big time!

Q

Comments (25)
    Someone else already said it so I'm going to say it again.....cheaterpants!! LOL Okay, really, that is a super swap package that I know Sally will enjoy for a long time. Nina, you went all out with this one for sure. If our resident "rat" loves this Muscat Orange Vinegar...along with others...lets just say I'm jelous and envious at the same time. Wish we had TJ's down here in mhy neck of the woods. David (who only sent one thing with packing material...lol)
    ...See More

Raising a mountain great room with big bones into "Dazzling Elegance"

Q

Comments (25)
    I agree that the clutter and leggy small decor items are detracting from the space. And you seem attached to the great room furniture but I think the scale and visual presence are off. The pale colors and delicate legs are no match for the fireplace, windows and the impressive beams. As pictured above, I think a few pieces of impressive large furniture would be better than trying to add more undersized items to the space.
    ...See More

modern photos of Not So Big Houses?

Q

Comments (10)
    Molly - what is your personality type? What do you need from your home environment? What allows you to enjoy your space? I an an introvert - get exhausted by people, I need order, clean lines, simplicity in my space. My sister is the opposite - she needs people to give her energy. She thrives on input. My home is MCM with daylight lighting, my sister's home is a Tudor home with Queen Anne Antique furnishings and soft white lighting. I have white trim, my sister has wood trim and wood beams. My sister's home is beautiful (won an award for best new design in our county the year it was built), but I am exhausted just looking at all the busy patterns and colors and textures. She is my best friend, but sometimes need her to stop talking. She loves me, but I drive her crazy with needing the perfect color and taking way too much time to make decisions. Knowing who you are and what you need is how you figure out how to style your space.
    ...See More
  • donnah
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh! I have been in love with this house plan for a couple of years. If I remember correctly the only thing I would have to change is the size of the kitchen - I do too much cooking and would need a BIT more room. I agree...it is absolutely lovely.

• bigkahuna
    14 years ago

The House has many nice features and I know its trying to keep it's square footage down but I would seriously look at the plan if you are serious about it. The Kitchen is pretty small..( not knowing your family or lifestyle). Laundry is non existent again up to you to decide. Garage is pretty small for having any extra space or storage. I wont do a garage door less than 9x8. Master bedroom is ok but would be better if it was 14' not 12 feet...likewise for the porch depth although 12 is ok there. Closets are ok but equal size for the guest vs master ??? Bathrooms are minimal but showers are small and depending on where you build not sure if a basement/ stair is shown but could be reworked to have that. I wouldnt do a house in most parts of country without a basement.Stair widths are narrow on one leg up it seems..getting beds and so on up might be tough. There are not alot of storage /linen space but again some dont need it all. There is no guest closet but if it had a basement you could convert part of the utility closet to bath and closet. The house works and is well designed as a small home but be sure to be practical as well and also consider if resale is ever going to be an option. The plan could be easily stretched and modified to address these issues and any other you might have based on personal needs /taste. Good Luck

• 66and76
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bigkahuna, you helped a lot with pointing out practical improvements to this floor plan. I had already noticed a need for a computer/office area. Perhaps the alcove in the master bedroom could be enlarged by taking part of the porch area. Yes, the showers do seem too small as well as the laundry and linen space. Isn't it interesting to take a second look at a plan that, actually, when you take everything into account, might not be practical? No, I am not serious about building this plan; I simply love its wide open feel and varied ceiling heights. It looks so clean, bright, and cheerful. I would still love to see actual photographs from someone who built it.

• bigkahuna
    14 years ago

Paula, There are many areas that I would personally look at changing. It is a personal issue and everyone has to think about whats important to them and how they will use a home and its spaces. However I feel too many people take far to little time to think through or lay out a house plan themselves when they have no real sense of how a plan should work. I just hate to see people make the biggest investment in their lives and give it so little thought or fail to realize they are not qualified to make good design decisions. First these poor decisions make the house far less functional, enjoyable and desirable if and when it comes time to sell the home. Most often its just a lack of knowledge and experience. Not that I am the strongest designer you will find in this world but I try my best to educate my clients about the many issues they need to consider and give them functional designs that are aesthetically pleasing. The plan has many fine feaures and details as well. One just has to look at the home as a whole and think it through carefully.

• arch123
    14 years ago

Have you tried the NOT So BIG HOUSE? - Community Bulletin Board

http://notsobighouse.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5160017252/m/8180026752

• creek_side
    14 years ago

Did Sarah Susanka actually design this house?

There is a lot wrong with it, as bigkahuna noted. It isn't even drawn properly. Look at the hall bath's door. It collides with the bathroom vanity. There certainly isn't room for any trim as it is drawn.

Besides what has already been mentioned, I'll add no bathtubs in any of the bathrooms, which certainly could hurt resale, only one coat closet for the entire house, stove right on top of a wall, and colliding garage and dryer doors.

Imagine being bent over emptying the dryer into a laundry basket when someone opens the door from the garage. Not good.

• 66and76
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks archie 123 for the website. I will explore the plans included there.

bigkahuna, you are so right. It certainly does take a lot of careful looking to determine if a house fits one's needs. I will certainly take your advice in the future if I ever do build a home. I wouldn't want to end up with a home that is as ill fitting as some of the shoes I have purchased on impulse ;-)

creek side, no, I don't think Susan Susanka designed this plan; it is in her book as an example of a small home with varied ceiling heights. After going back and reviewing your observations, I believe you have some valid points. Thanks!

• Jay R
    8 years ago

Pinkpaula or bigkahuna, could you please let me know how I could contact you about Elegant Simplicity- please? I am planning to build the house, and really need to chat if you have built it. This would be a huge help. Thank you lots!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

John, this thread is 7 years old. I would be surprised if either person is here and if you read the thread, bigkahuna definitely did NOT build this house.

• Jay R
    8 years ago

I understand of cours. But Pinkpaula is still posting here. Pinkpaula, did you or anyone else build this home?

• 66and76
    Original Author
    8 years ago

John, I did not build this house. I was interested in the plan, but I did not move from my 1910 house.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Pinkpaula, I have this house in my inspiration file. Mostly just for the design elements as I can't find a floorplan anywhere. It is one of the only homes on the not so big site that says plan is no longer available. Do you happen to have an image of the plan? I'd just enjoy seeing it for fun. I believe the architect is Estes.

• Jay R
    8 years ago

Annette, the plan is available. I am currently trying to find someone who actually built the home! It is featured in "Creating the Not So Big House " by Sarah Susanka. I will find someone! The house in the book was built in Jamestown, RI. If you build it let me know i'd love to hear about it. I intend to build it with one larger master bath and downstairs bath combined into one with access doors from the hallway and master bedroom. Since I will have a basement, there is no need for the mechanical room behind the fireplace. I will also make the walk in closets larger. The kitchen nook sliding doors will be removed (silly I think) and will combine the dining and kitchen areas. Again, if you build it or know of someone who has, please let me know. I contacted the architect but of course it's all top secret.

http://www.homeplans.com/house-plans/hp/styles/country-home-plans-country-homes/homepw10511.html

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

John, thanks so much for the link! The plan won't work for me as I really need 2 masters but I will still use the design elements for inspiration. Your changes sound very useful. Such a cozy plan. I hope you find someone, maybe the design firm can help, I think it was Estes Twombly.

• 66and76
    Original Author
    8 years ago

John, I also appreciate the link you provided. You would think the architect would be more than happy to help you out, UNLESS the plan had flaws that caused the firm to withdraw the plan. Just a thought.

Good luck with your search!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

John nice plan but have a few thoughts for you.

1. Wondering if you need such a long master bedroom? If anything I'd make it a bit narrower but wider.

2. Don't know your age, but if it's a house you want to age in, you might consider moving the garage to the kitchen side so that you don't have to lug groceries across the house.

3. I would turn the mechanical room into the laundry closet.

• Jay R
    8 years ago

Thank you. I agree on the master bedroom. The entire area behind the fireplace wall will be re-done with a larger combination bath with two access doors, a laundry room, and better designed closets. Mechanical room will be gone. I will also need a mudroom entry/hallway for people and dogs, probably attached to the garage or laundry. Ill consider the garage placement but was going to use the roof of the garage for southern exposure for some solar panels.

• 1fiona1
    8 years ago

Hello. We built this house several years ago & never looked back. There was no need for a garage & we turned the house in such a manner that the front of the house in the plans is actually the back of our house. The master bedroom is now a day room with a row of casement windows stretching the full length of the room facing south to take advantage of winter solar gain. Double French doors at the end of the day room open up to a small deck and the gracious front porch has been screened & is our favorite room for over half of the year. Kitchen is open & the utility room is a full bath. The house was framed with 2x6's & does well with energy bills. Here is a thought if you build the house: Insist on stainless steel nails for the cedar shingle sidewalls. The cost of stainless nails is greater than galvanized nails, but they will never corrode & stain the cedar. If you wrap the shingles on the corners (there are many corners), the stainless nails will pin the shingles, the corners will never open up and they will stay unstained where the nails are exposed. Our house has a crawl space, but only because we were going to run out of money if we went with a basement. Let me know if you have questions that I can help answer. Bottom line: We'd build it again, but this time someone else would do the drywall and I don't think that my wife would get back on the roof to put on shingles.

Randy

• Jay R
    8 years ago

Randy, is there a way I could contact you off of here to chat about it?

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    8 years ago

Randy, I'm sure we'd all love if you posted a few pics. So jealous :D.

• 66and76
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I second the request, Randy: Please post a few pictures ;-)

• Jay R
    8 years ago

I third the request!

• 1fiona1
    7 years ago

Ok, so here is the front of the house (back of the house in plans) with a good exterior view of the day room that was the master bedroom. We screened the porch and replaced the columns with 8x8's that have been shingled and arches created at each post, both inside and outside. The upper porch was also screened as we have bats, birds and bugs that also love our house. The front of the house faces due south and the winter solar gain in the day room makes it one of our favorites.

This is a photo from inside the front porch looking to the west. Exposed rafters, tongue and grove planking on the ceiling, the arched shingle columns and a million cedar shingles. What you are seeing is about 1/2 of the porch.

• Jay R
    7 years ago

Beautiful home 1fiona1 and thank you for sharing! Would love to see interrior views too. Such a beautiful setting. I like the screened in porch. I also plan to go with the wood shingle- like siding, but I'm wondering if anyone has come across a very realistic wood shingle-looking shingle that looks like wood but does not weather grey? Do they make cement style shingles that look like wood-texture and color?

• 66and76
    Original Author
    7 years ago

1fiona1, Oh, that is a lovely setting. The placement of the house on the rise with the rock wall below is so nice. Do you have a long-range view from the screened porch? Thank you so much for the pictures. I LOVE your house and grounds.

• 1fiona1
    7 years ago

Front door view-DuPont State Forest.

Screen house folly

• Jay R
    7 years ago

Gorgeous! Good for you guys!

• 66and76
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You have the ideal house for your location. I imagine the seasonal views are something to behold. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Jay R
    7 years ago

Would be great to see some interior shots 1fiona1. The house is beautiful!

I found another site with the house. http://taradillard.blogspot.com/2009/06/spo-home-garden-tea.html#links

• Lavender Lass
    7 years ago

Beautiful home and gardens/landscape, but I especially like your choice for exterior finishes. It does not look like a brand new house...which I mean in a very good way. It looks like it fits with the surroundings, so nicely. Just lovely : )

• cpartist
    7 years ago

beautiful house and grounds.

• just_janni
    7 years ago

Idyllic!

• Jay R
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Just somyou know, its not my house, but another one of Elegant Simplicity I found on line

• 1fiona1
    7 years ago

Right, but we certainly enjoyed looking at a different take on the house. Thanks for sending the link. I'll post some interior photos of our home within the next few days. There is a certain dissonance in seeing one's home rearranged, but not an unpleasant experience.

• Jay R
    7 years ago

Thank you look forward to seeing them!

• 1fiona1
    7 years ago

Hi, here are a few interior photos of Elegant Simplicity:

Looking towards the stairs at the back of the house. Jotul woodstove is great!
    From the top of the stairs.
    Expanded view of the living room.
    Open kitchen
    Day room that was the master bedroom in the original.
    Back bathroom-note do not ever install subway tiles on the diagonal.

• Jay R
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Splendid house, and I love all of your changes and alterations. A beautiful well designed home , and its decorated beautifully! Good for you! I would do many of the sam things, including the more open kitchen. Do you have any of the bedrooms or garage? Thank you for sharing!

• 1fiona1
    7 years ago

To John Harner: John, did you get my e-mail address?

Randy

• Jay R
    7 years ago

Yes, I'll email you there

• 66and76
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you so much for letting us see your beautiful home. I started this thread in 2009 with the comment, "I am in love with the Elegant Simplicity plan from Sarah Susanka's Creating the Not So Big House". I still love it. You made my dream house come to life. It just looks so relaxed and comfortable. Enjoy!

• Ashley Mulso
    7 years ago

1fiona1, thank you for sharing your pictures you have a beautiful home! We are also thinking of building this house -- did you change the kitchen dimensions? I'm worried that it will be too small, do you like the size of yours?

• Ashley Mulso
    7 years ago

Here is another link of someone who built this house, with some modifications. http://registerguard.com/rg/life/homeandgarden/34306920-72/cottage-comfort-indoors-and-out.html.csp

• Jay R
    7 years ago

Ashley, it looks like the sq. footage is creeping up in this one. Not enough photos to tell, but it looks like they have an addition on to take care of a mudroom entry. Its over 2000 sq ft. How large did you want to build? If you like, email me at jayroberts5252 at the "y place" for additional info.

• 1fiona1
    7 years ago

Ashley, Thanks for your kind comments. We deleted the garage from the footprint of the house and kept the rest of the footprint as designed. The kitchen/dining room is open with a bar wall between the two to keep the cook safe and congenial. We live so far out in the sticks that 95% of out meals are home cooked and have a large garden that inevitably means canning produce. The kitchen works fine for us and is the same size as the plans. The smartest decision we made was to turn the house around such that the front as designed, is actually the back of our house. The large screen porch faces due south and the master bedroom is our day room, with lots of windows facing south. The plans do not call for screening the porch, but without screen we would have every bird, bug and bat in the neighborhood to contend with. Ten years out, if we were building now, this is probably the house we would build. Randy

• pozdnyakovkent
    7 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3g8trItdHY&sns=em

We've been calling this house our home for the last year and a half. Extremely cozy and spacious design. Perfect size and configuration

• Harry Hallgring
    2 years ago

i know this thread is aged but here goes…We built this house in Little Compton, RI in 2003. We made moderate changes to the original Estes plans to suit our needs. its a wonderful house! Here’s a quick tour from when we sold the house in 2017. https://youtu.be/8NkU-Srskn8