SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth_in_bend

Will a curbless walk-in shower work in this space?

beth_in_bend
16 years ago

We need to add a shower to our downstairs powder room to accomodate my mother who is in a wheelchair. The space we have to work with is 60" long, and we will be bumping out a wall to give us about 34-36 inches of depth for a shower. We want to do something like this, but we want it curbless:

{{gwi:1475538}}

There will be a toilet right next to the half wall, and we need to put a grab bar there to help getting up from the toilet. This shower needs to be wheelchair accessible, so the opening needs to be at least 30". I was also thinking about putting the shower controls on the half wall, along with a grab bar. Hopefully that makes sense. I want to be able to turn the water on and off without getting in the shower. We would have a portable shower bench along the back wall, near the gliding hand-held shower head, and grab bars on the wall where the shower head is and on the half wall.

Would this idea work with a roll-in shower pan, or would water get everywhere? How long would the wall need to be in order to prevent the water from escaping?

Comments (3)