SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1mayven

Need HELP with Curbless shower floor

1mayven
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I am moving my elderly parents in with me so I can care for my dad who has dementia and bladder cancer and need a way for him to be able to walk into a shower area. I have only a bathroom off my bedroom in the back with a small shower tub combo and a half bath in the front where my parents will be. So, I want to turn the half bath into a curb-less shower or "wet room" that still has a toilet and sink. The half bath is only 6’2" x about 4.5’ so I have barely enough room to put a shower and linear drain on one side and the toilet and small sink at the other.

Because it is right off my living room with wood floors I believe the finished floor of the "wet room" should be slightly lower than the wood floor (1/8” to 1/4”) to help ensure the water doesn’t spill in but think after all the waterproofing, mortar and tile is added, that I may need to lower the floor even more than what I could with rapid recess in some sections?

I already demoed the old floor out myself and while it is open, I plan to reinforce sections underneath but afraid to do anything else without some expert advice. I want to make sure I don't have any leaks underneath or into adjoining room and that the floor will slope to the drain properly without feeling like I am on a boat and because a wall mount toilet is not an option, I need the floor under the toilet to be level.

So the question I have is can just the subfloor be sloped to the drain and the tile installed level? Or can I start a slope just where the shower section would start?

I am attaching a drawing I did that gives the rough layout and measurements. I have about 33" from the doorway where the shower section would start (and the shower curtain) to the wall where the drain would be.

Comments (18)