SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leightx_gw

Plan feedback please

leightx
10 years ago

Hello all,

This is our first draft from our designer, and I'm hoping for some input. The 2nd story is in the works, but she wants to make sure we like this 1st story first so we can finalize room and stair locations.

Some things I asked for and she included:
1) Laundry connected to master closet and also accessible from hallway (location near garage isn't important)

2) "A/C storage" will actually be a small work / craft studio - I want that facing backyard

3) No tub in master.

4) Media on the corner it is now (SW).

5) Husband really likes curved island - I am indifferent, but mainly just want a kitchen that "works" well.

6) Open kitchen / dining / great room (no formal dining / living).

As is, I'm ok with this plan, but would like feedback on a few things:

1) Master at front. It doesn't bother me in theory, but I wonder if it would practically. We don't typically go back and forth to our bedroom all day, and I do like that it is very private in this plan. But I'm unsure about the location. However, I'm also not sure what else I'd put up there. I could move the study (currently labeled A/C storage) up there, but I spend more time there and would rather have a view out the back. I'm also not sure I like where I'd need to position the bed (closest to front door). I'd prefer to walk in and see the bed.

2) No windows in master bath. I don't know if this would bug me or not. We had large glass blocks that I hated in our former house (over the garden tub that was used 3 times in 13 years). It made the entire bathroom hot, and I just don't like the look. But now I'm wondering if I'll miss natural light in there?? We could reconfigure the "his" closet I think and push the bathroom into that space easily. We don't need separate closets.

3) Corner shower - thoughts? We want to go doorless, but also have enough room to get a wheelchair through if needed in the future. I'm not sure those doors are large enough.

4) Outswing WC door. I know, I know. :)

5) A/C storage / studio - we will bump out even with dining room, ditch the mudroom area (really, move into studio), and remove a door into the garage. I would rather have a room I can close off completely than having our coats and shoes out in the hallway.

6) Kitchen layout - i'll post in Kitchen forum as well. My initial concerns are the fridge placement (too far from garage, but easy enough to move). I'm not sure about the center island / prep sink. We do like to cook, and when we entertain, no one leaves the kitchen. So this does give us lots of room. I'd want some sort of bottom drawer for dishes next to the DW - not sure if will fit in this arrangement.

7) Great room - not sure if it is long enough for a sofa and 2 chairs once we get island barstools in? Also - thinking about putting fireplace in corner closest to front of the house so we can center a TV in here (media might become more of a game room / wetbar area - we are still playing around with that).

Any other thoughts or suggestions? Windows aren't all drawn in yet, and there is still plenty of work to be done!

Comments (8)