SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tami_ohio

Suggestions please for spyware removal, printers and scanners

tami_ohio
15 years ago

Hello, it's been a while since I have needed the great help found on this forum. Guess that's a good thing! It means I haven't messed up my computer too bad!

XP Home Version 2002 SP3

Compaq AMD turion 64 mobile

Technology ML-32

1. I need a suggestion for a good spyware removal program. Haven't had one on here since I got it. No real problems for the most part, as I was the only one using it until recently. I only went to a few specific places on line, mostly. (Yes, I know, I should still be using one!) My son, 21, has recently been using it for school, online tests, and a few things. He knows he's not supposed to go to MySpace or Facebook, as when MySpace first came out, he & his sister went there a couple of times, and I had to completely restore the system on our old computer, so I won't let him go there now. Doesn't mean he won't forget and do it anyway! But since he's been using it, things have slowed down a lot. Then I downloaded the Embird program for my embroidery machine, and things are even slower. I am assuming that between his use and my download of Embird, we have picked up some spyware.

I did a disk cleanup and defrag this morning and it has helped considerably, but still slower than it was.

2. I do a lot of photo stuff. I have a HP 932C that did a good job of printing them at one time, though they have faded over time. I am looking for a good printer, that prints great photos that won't fade, and isn't expensive.

3. I am scanning in old family photos and have old negetives and slides that I would like to do also. I have a Cannoscan N220U that works great and is really portable for me ( have been know to go to a relatives home and scan in their photos!), but it doesn't have a slide & negetive holder. Can I still scan the negetives and slides and get great results, or do I need a different scanner?

I have looked at the HP C8180 all in one. It has the cd/dvd burner built in. On sale $299. A bit steep in price for me, and takes up space I don't really have in height, as it's almost as high as the space below the cubbie holes on my desk. I don't need the burner, I have one on the laptop, and the photos all need corrections/touchups/repairs anyway, so still need to be on the computer. They will be backed up to disk and portable hard drive eventually.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can share. If you need more system info, let me know and I will try to give it to you. You may need to explain how I can get it, tho!

Tami

Comments (4)