SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunandcoco

36' GE Monogram Induction and Wall Oven - Recommendations/Advice!

bunandcoco
15 years ago

Hello all! I'm new to these forums, and have learned so much in the few days that I've been scanning the posts on here- thanks to all for the valuable insight!

My wife and I are in the midst of a 15 month (soon to be 16th month but I _think_ we can see the end in sight- maybe another 3-4 months, max!) total home renovation, and are in need of some advice. The home itself is a 1928 bungalow, and we took off the roof and added 3 bedrooms and 2 baths upstairs within the roof line so we had more room downstairs for the kitchen and living space. It's still a modest home, all things considered- probably 2,500 square feet or so.

Our kitchen has been a work in progress, to say the least. We've changed the design of it a few times now, but I think we finally found an inspiration kitchen that has a similar layout and we're running with it. The design calls for an induction cooktop on top of a wall oven.

We purchased the GE 36" Monogram induction cooktop - and get this- got it for under $1700. That's right- $1699 for the 36" Monogram induction cooktop. I was a bigger fan of the profile cooktop (mainly because we are planning on having a green glass tile on the wall behind the cooktop area as an accent wall and thought the blue rings might be a little much, but the profile priced out at $1999 - odd, I know. If any of you are interested in a 36" monogram induction (brand new, straight from GE with full warranty from an authorized GE dealer) for a break neck price, let me know and I'll send you their information. I wanted to spread the word since I shopped for the profile cooktop for 2 months before finally pulling the trigger (and almost having a heart attack) when he told me the price on the monogram 36". (and, yes, I've verified the model #, etc. and its the new monogram induction cooktop).

The question I have is twofold:

1) I have seen some posts on here about floating a wall oven underneath the induction cooktop in your base cabinets, but most of the advice stated that you can do it with like kind brands (i.e., GE specifically states that you can put a GE induction cooktop over a GE oven, etc.). The GE Monogram oven that we like (with the pro handle) is absurdly expensive- even the GE dealer I got the induction from quoted me $2499 for it (which is pretty much the standard price, give or take a bit). I like the Jenn-air professional oven (SS), and I can get it for $1600 from the same authorized dealer (brand new, similar look to the GE Monogram oven). I checked the dimensions on the ovens and the Jenn-air is much larger than the Monogram (about an 1" in height, and more than a few inches in depth). How much room does the induction cooktop take? Will I be able to fit the Jenn-air oven underneath the Monogram induction cooktop? Or should I err on the side of being safe (but spending almost $900 more) on one appliance? So frustrating..

2) I have located a built-in fridge that is 4 years old, but has one year remaining on the warranty from the manufacturer. It's also a Monogram, and it was originally 6500-7000 or so, and I'm getting it for a very small fraction of its original price. It seems to work fine (fridge and freezer are running at the right temps), but its not hooked to a water line right now so I haven't verified the ice maker yet. We're planning on hiring a fridge tech to go inspect it before finalizing our purchase, but I wanted to hear from you guys on the idea of buying a 4 year old built in fridge (with no apparent damage and no history of problems). Good or bad idea? One thing is for sure- it will save us a bundle on our kitchen and we'll have a showplace kitchen for a fraction of the cost.

Thanks guys!!

Comments (6)