SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
guap_gw

brick ledge, exterior foam, and stucco (oh my!)

guap
13 years ago

I'm ready to strangle my general contractor. Home is now framed, and we're getting close to putting exterior cladding on. Background: I'm a novice, but have read enough to be dangerous; contractor is experienced but probably not up on current building science.

I'm in Utah, mostly dry heating climate although we get a handful of good snowstorms each winter. The exterior will include brick, veneer stone, and stucco. My intention all along has been to insulate well in the wall cavity (butter with closed cell foam and then fill 2x6 walls with blown in cellulose).

But I also wanted to put an inch of rigid foam on the exterior to eliminate the thermal break before applying brick/stone/stucco. The builder knows this, but hasn't made any allowance for it in how the foundation walls were poured. There's a ledge for the brick areas, standard depth I guess, and the foundation walls are 8" thick.

My question is whether it's too late to insist on the rigid foam, or if it's worth doing on just the wall surfaces where it makes sense? I don't think there's room for the foam and an air space behind the brick. The assembly I had in mind was:

1/2" dry wall

2x6" stud walls with cellulose/closed cell foam

1/2" plywood sheathing (at least I think it's regular plywood!)

Tyvek house wrap

1" rigid foam

stucco/brick/stone

thanks!

Comments (13)