SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbwaldrop_gw

Attic Insulation Question

mbwaldrop
13 years ago

We are almost done with our rough ins and are needing to make a decision on insulation. Have had one person quote and thought I would share his thoughts and see what you all think. We are in Alabama climate, I used the zip wall and zip roof. We used 2x4's for exterior walls, have a vaulted ceiling in the living room with 2x8's and one side of vault is exposed to the rood decking and other side is exposed to the attic, 14" Ijoist between 1st and 2nd floor, second floor ceiling has 2x8 rafters. We also poured a 3" mud slab on the crawl space foundation to eliminate moisture issues and to help regulate the temperature. The information I got today was from a company that installs Celbar spray insulation. Anyone heard of it? I had planned on using John Mansville Spyder spray insulation. How do they compare? Plan is for R13 in the walls, we are spraying between the first and second floor more for sound control that temperature control (three little boys can get loud) but in the attic I have run into an issue, we have gone ahead and floored all our attic space and he said that we cannot get an R38 value in 8" with out using closed foam. I mentioned spraying the roofing rafter but with soffit vents and eve vents and possible ridge vent he said it was a waste plus my roof would burn up. So what are your thoughts? Pull up the attic decking and get the R38 value or get R30 in the joist at the attic and also spray or roll the roof rafters?

Comments (7)