SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudysmallfry

Attic insulation questions

rudysmallfry
17 years ago

Okay, here's the deal. 1976 ranch with blown in insulation in attic. The depth of the insulation is 9". I can see some tops of joists. No vapor barrier was installed. House is located in Connecticut. I am fairly certain that I need more insulation. Ideally what I would like to do is roll out some fiberglass rolls over the blown in stuff perpendicular to the joists so as not to compress it. A few problems exist.

The pitch of the roof is rather shallow. In order to get the rolls into the lowest pitch areas, I would need to be some kind of contortionist. I was thinking, instead of putting the rolls there, I should instead push over the existing blow in stuff into the hard to reach areas using a shovel or something, and then place the rolls in the highest clearance areas where I can reach and work more easily. Would this work, or would half the attic being blown in and the other half being rolls create an uneven insulation factor? If I do end up doing this way, it gives me an opportunity to use a vapor barrier at least in the center 3rd of the attic. Should I do it, or again would that be uneven and create more of a problem than if no barrier existed at all?

While I'm doing this, I'd like to check to make sure that the soffit vents are not already clogged by the blown in stuff. Again that contortionist thing applies. There's no way I can check the soffits from inside. Is there a way I can do it from outside? Maybe have a buddy shine a flashlight up there while I'm in the attic? If they are clogged, how in the world would I clear them out?

And the final question, how long should an adequately insulated house be able to hold heat? I've been monitoring my heat loss and find that on the average 50 degree day, my house loses 1 degree every 15 minutes. That seems rather quick to me. Is there a rule of thumb for how well a house should hold it's heat assuming it has been properly insulated?

thanks in advance for any input.

Comments (15)