SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hydrangea_2008

Help with choosing a ventilation hood

hydrangea_2008
15 years ago

Experts here - do assist! My kitchen is a 13 1/2 ft * 14 1/2ft (almost square) footprint. The issue is that along the 13 1/2 foot wall, is where I need to locate the range. The ceiling at that edge is 7 feet and 9" and has a window (it is a sloping ceiling). We've tried relocating the range but just cannot - and given that the biggest feature of our home is the view, I cannot just get rid of a window.The window is 7 feet wide and the range sits in the center of this.

Ventilation is a must (pretty much the reason for this remodel - as I currently have a really bad Jenn Air downdraft cooktop). I am going with a Blue Star range and also happen to be a very avid cook.

I've looked at vent-a-hood liners - but looking at the spec sheet, installing it at 30" would really bother the view. I could go higher up - but from what I read, the higher you go, the larger the hood you need to purchase.

On seeing the kitchen forum, I saw that one person - loves2cook4six, had installed an island hood over a cooktop, with a window at the back - but her ceiling height seemed higher than mine.

Question: Any suggestions for what hoods to look at/ other ventilation options?

If you're suggesting a liner - how high can I install it (My husband is 6 ft tall). Would going with an Island hood be better? Also - I do want something that's at least 900CFM.

I am getting a bit desperate here - as I've pretty much refused to go ahead with the cabinets, etc - till this basic issue is resolved!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (16)