SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maydl

Please help me choose a range hood . . .

maydl
16 years ago

I first posted this query on the Appliances Forum but got no responses. So I'm hoping the Kitchen Forum folk will help with your experiences and expertise:

For a kitchen remodel to start next May, I have five appliances to choose. I'll run the whole list by this forum when the decisions are (almost) made, but for now I'd like your input to help me choose a 42-inch under-cabinet range hood, about 600 cfm. It will be over a Wolf 36-inch 6-burner range top.

Important to me--perhaps even in this order--are ease of cleaning, quietness, effectiveness, price. Effectiveness is third in line because I don't have any ventilation now, and anything will be an improvement. I've collected brochures from Zephyr, VentAHood, Best, Broan, and others, but I'm having difficulty cutting through the marketing verbiage and have no experience using range hoods.

I spoke to a local dealer who showed me a baffle model and a mesh filter model. He thought the baffle model was more effective but said that he had nearly sliced his fingers off removing the sharp-edged baffles for cleaning. The mesh filters came off easily for dishwasher cleaning, but he didn't think the unit was as good at venting. The Zephyr brochure describes yet another method of cleaning.

Please share your own range hood decision-making process and let me know if you are happy with or regret the results. Thanks!

Comments (9)