SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phyl345

'It's elementary, my dear' .. NOT!

phyl345
17 years ago

I think this should be easy but .. BUT .. when I see a picture .. or a great piece of info on a forum ... how do I bookmark it?

does it then bookmark that individual picture .. or piece of info .. or does it do the whole page?

I have only had a computer since Aug....I have 2 books, & have learned a lot from them, however, HOWEVER ...

is there anyone out there with enough patience to take me step-by-step thru this? ... i use AT&T DSL ....

thank you so much, phyl

Comments (26)

• bob414
    17 years ago

The whole page will be bookmarked. How you save it depends on the browser you are using. If it's internet explorer they are called favorites-otherwise they are probably called bookmarks. Just go to the page you want to bookmark and then click on the'bookmarks' or in ie 'favorites' button you will see somewhere on one of the toolbars at the top of the page. You will get a drop down box which shows all your previous bookmarks and at the top of the list you will see an option to add the new bookmark. You will get a new box in which the name of the page is highlighted. If you want to change that name type it in and then click 'OK' or 'save' whatever it says. When you want to visit that page again click on the same tab, but this time on the drop down list click on the page you want to visit. If this isn't clear tell us what browser you use and someone can give exact steps.

• leslie_gardener
    17 years ago

People in here have the patience of Job.

If you click on "Bookmarks" then "Add to Bookmarks" then "OK" the whole page will be saved.

To save a picture: Right click the pic then "Save Picture As"... at the top of the box that pops up use the "Save In" drop down list at the top to pick a destination folder, change the "File name", at bottom, if you want, then click "Save" (Remember where you saved it to)

I don't save text so until someone says different I would highlight the text,then copy and paste to Wordpad and click "File" at the top then "Save"..then "Save in" using the drop down list..then change file name to something appropriate...eg:"Good Stuff I Found"..

Stay tuned for someone else to post...

• mikie_gw
    17 years ago

IE lets you right click a picture and choose
    Save as Favorite ...
    then you can pick a favorite folder or make one to save the url of that pic as a favorite.

• phyl345
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I tried what you both said ... didn't work ... after hitting add a bookmark, there was no "ok" and no "save" ...

maybe (?) that is what shows up using favorites with internet explore, but, BUT ... I use AT&T DSL which has "bookmarks" instead of "favorites" ...

as further explanation, the only reason I use AT&T INSTEAD of Internet Explorer is because IE doesn't let me access a lot of the pictures ... and AT&T does ... hope I said that in a way that makes sense (?)

anybody out there who saves things to AT&T bookmarks???????????/

thanks, phyl

• phyl345
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ooops .. i was typing at the same time as the last post ... yikes, it's 0for3 on using "favorites" instead of "bookmarks"! ...but .. BUT .. I dontwanna!!!! (whine, whine, whine) .. I realize I am very new at all this (Aug.), but i REALLY like AT&T better .. that is, all except for not being able to get the darn bookmark thingy to work!

o.k., it stands at 0for3, but SURELY there is someone out there who uses AT&T ... yes? .. no?

• leslie_gardener
    17 years ago

I'm just guessing...does this help?

Here is a link that might be useful: Here

• hendricus
    17 years ago

This is confusing. ATT DSL is a connection and not a browser. Look at the top of your screen, way up, and it should probably say 'microsoft internet explorer'. I have DSL with SBC global which is now ATT and that's what mine looks like.

• phyl345
    Original Author
    17 years ago

geezohpete! .. don't forget, i've only been at this since Aug.! o.k. does AT&T yahoo sound right?????????

I don't like internet explorer ... it doesn't allow me to see a lot of the pictures on the forums ... judging by the fact that everyone here presumed I must be with IE, even tho I wrote AT&T, I guess I have to surmise that pretty much NOBODY uses AT&T?? ... how come? .. what do you all know that I don't know? (grin) wow, that's a loaded question; I have ALREADY admitted how little I know ...

so, now that we know I use Yahoo, anybody know why I can't make "bookmarks" work?

thanks for your patience & understanding, Phyl

• hendricus
    17 years ago

No. AT&T Yahoo is still a connection and toolbar. We've had AT&T Internet Explorer for years till we got a new computer this year. It is still internet explorer.
    AT&T kept raising their rates so this was a good time to dump them.

• iris_gal
    17 years ago

Phyl,
    My friend has Yahoo as her home page and AT&T as her provider (new name to learn?).

I would click on Bookmarks on her system and it didn't give me the pop-up window to place the bookmark in a folder of my choice or change the assigned name. Only a choice to save this site (or language similar). One site called Butter is Best saved to the bookmark list as Wisconsin Dairy or something like that. Perhaps there are options allowing one to choose a different name but I don't have that desire to learn her system.

When I click Bookmarks in her menu bar, a drop-down menu displays the names of every site that's been bookmarked. Clicking on one of them to go there. (all this clicking means left-click button).

If you click on your bookmarks and no drop-down menu appears, let us know. If the drop-down menu appears, what is on it?

• phyl345
    Original Author
    17 years ago

you are saying yahoo isn't a browswer? ... I am SOOO confused ...here's the deal, when I hit "start" and then go up the left-hand side of the screen to the icon (?) that kinda looks like a fat, grey slug with blue fins & a yellow tail; it says Internet in capital letters, and then under it in smaller letters it says AT&T yahoo....

then ... when I click on that, it opens a page and on the very, very top line it says: ... "AT&T YAHOO! HIGH SPEED INTERNET - AT&T YAHOO! BROWSER" ... all that is on one line ..and then I go on my merry way from there...

I definitely COULD hit the blue e with the gold orbit icon Internet explorer, but, BUT ... i know i am repeating myself, but i don't like I.E. ... it gives me too many of those black boxes with the red x (pictures) ... I am sure there is a way to get around that, but, BUT with Yahoo, the picture if THERE ... and I DO SO LIKE to look at pictures! (GRIN)

also, i don't know what the term "home page" means, but the microsoft flag, or whatever it is, is everywhere ... so does that mean that is my homepage?

our machine has HP mx705 written on it .. means nutthin to me!!! (grin)

I'll probably never hear from any of you again (can't for the life of me think WHY!) ..anyway, thanks so far cuz I REALLY DID learn some things tonight, Phyl

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

phyl-
    I know you're trying hard, but you're confusing a lot of things that aren't related to one another. Let's try to sort out what a browser is and isn't.

First, it's just a piece of software that let's you get around the web and see things. The majority of people use Internet Explorer (IE) or some variation on Netscape. Whatever company you get your Internet service from will typically provide you with "their" browser, but it's usually just IE, with their name stuck on it. Whatever icon you click that gets you on the Internet starts your browser. The first page it opens up to is what's known as your home page. AT&T may have the browser open up to their home page, but you can change that easily (ask me in another post). For example, I get my Internet service through Verizon, but I don't want to have my browser start there, so I've changed it to Yahoo!, which is just another web page. You could choose that, or Google, or Orville Redenbacher, or a billion others...but your browser is still the same. If you want to confirm what your browser really is, you should be to able open it, go to "Help" at the top, and click "About...."

Now if you don't like IE, there are other browsers available for free that look somewhat similar, and can be downloaded easily. I've got three or four on my computer right now, and sometimes I use one rather than another because of some special browser feature I want to use. Just because you buy your Internet service from somebody doesn't mean you have to use their branded browser.

Think of your browser like a car. You buy it, you own it, and you may have more than one in the driveway. You can get in any one of your cars (browsers) and drive off. The road system is the Internet, and all the destinations out there...those are web pages and there are many of them. If you want to go to Dunkin' Donuts every morning, you can do it in any car, and you can think of Dunkin' Donuts as your home page. But if you get sick of Dunkin' Donuts, you can make Denny's your new home page.

Does that help any?

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

phyl-
    At the risk of adding confusion, there is one point I need to modify. I used to have the AT&T browser when I was getting my service from them a couple of years ago, and assumed they hadn't changed it much from when it was IE. But after posting above, I ran a search for your browser name on Google and it appears to be some new creation that's been cobbled together in the last 2 years by Yahoo! wanting to establish a browser presence and it's co-branded by AT&T. It shares a lot of features of other browsers, but is definitely not pure IE or pure Netscape.

All of these browsers work pretty much the same, but the commands are in different places and the treatment and manipulation of Bookmarks/Favorites varies enough to be confusing. My examples about how to differentiate browsers from home pages, etc., are still valid, but I can see why you're getting confused with all the advice here. I suspect that your browser is not a huge share of the market yet, and most of us are using somewhat similar, but different, browsers and aren't totally familiar with the guts of what you're using.

I have a suggestion, but I don't know if you'll be excited about it. And that is to download a more commonly used browser that more of us can give you detailed answers about. My nominee is Mozilla Firefox 2. It's very intuitive, and well-thought-out, and I use it almost exclusively.

Here is a link that might be useful: Firefox

• bob414
    17 years ago

Phyl, you say that it didn't say OK or anything, but when you click on the bookmark button did you look at the drop down list to see if the page had been added? If you only want to save a picture put your cursor on the picture and click the right mouse button. You should get a drop down menu which has 'save as' as one option. If you click on that you can give the picture a name and type what folder you want to save it in.

• ross939
    17 years ago

Just to add my .02, for clarification, ATT Yahoo is a dsl ISP, and yes, ATT Yahoo has their own stand alone internet browswer that you can download from their website. You could, in fact, delete ie7 from your computer and it would run fine. I use it, I like it fine, and I have never had many problems with it. Note that in virtually all browsers, you must download the particular webpage that the picture is in, you can't bookmark just the picture. You can right-click the picture, choose, save as, then save the pic to a folder in your (C:) drive, such as My Pictures. When I want to ad a bookmark, I go to Bookmarks in the menu bar, choose Add Bookmark, click it, and thats it. Go back into your Bookmarks listings and you should find it. It might be named something you don't recognise. You can then choose Edit Bookmarks, and rename it anything you like. I would stick with this browser for awhile if I were you. You will find that you can edit it you your liking. I already answered on your latest post on the subject and I don't want to be redundant. Well, just one more thing, this browser has that others don't that I really like is the option to set mutiple identities for each family member. You can't do this on EI7, you can't do this on Opra, firefox, or Netscape (I've used all of them, and if you could, I couldn't figure out how.) Some folks say, "well just set XP or Vista for Multiple identities when you log on", but that's a pain in the butt because everthing on our computer, we share, and don't need mutiple identities for, except for e-mail and Internet browsing. O.K., I've gone on long enough...
    --John

• bob414
    17 years ago

Ross, you may be right about it being stand alone. I certainly do not have the ability to check out the code and make that determination, but it seems to me that they have just put their own interface on ie. If not, why the requirement that you have ie 5.5 on your computer before you can install the at&tyahoo browser?
    {{gwi:1463190}}.

• mikie_gw
    17 years ago

I'd be curious what that browser says under the menu item HELP / About ... does it say there perhaps ATT-Yahoo Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape or ?

What I read at UCDavis with their 2007 copyright...
    "The Yahoo-branded browser uses an ISP cache-server. It is a customized version of Microsoft's Internet Explorer that includes pop-up blocking, facilitates the use of parental controls, and is integrated with Yahoo's spam filtering and other enhancements."

• ross939
    17 years ago

i can't say for sure if i'm right or not, I removed ie7 from my computer, thinking yahoo was a stand alone browser, as it still worked normally, but i see now that it just reverted back to ie6.0 and is still installed... you are probably correct...

• ross939
    17 years ago

{{gwi:1463192}}

• bob414
    17 years ago

I don't know. I made an assumption based on requiring ie to be on the machine. After thinking it over, maybe they just use active x to install their browser. Anyway, if Phyl likes it there is no reason to change. I do hope that after she gains more experience she will try other browsers as you have done to see which serves her best. I now have ie, yahoo, firefox and opera and use them all, at least occasionally.

• phyl345
    Original Author
    17 years ago

where to begin ... where to begin ... I feel like I am at the academy awards with so MANY directors to thank!!! let's see, there is BOB, LESLIE, MIKIE, HENDRICUS, IRIS, KUDZU & ROSS ... applause ..applause

I have just spent an hour trying to address each of you separately, but I finally had to give up .. cuz there was just too much overlapping stuff .. so .. here goes ..

I now know these facts to be self-evident and to be true: .."yahoo browser is just an extension of internet explorer" wow .. who knew .. that sure does explain a lot ..

next quote: .. "the people here have the patience of Job" .. that sure was a truism! .. and brilliant to boot ..

when I clicked on "help" (which, b.t.w., I had never even NOTICED before, it said: "A.T.&T. Yahoo HELP" .. guess that means that is my "CONNECTION" .. right? RIGHT??

the drop-down menu that came up when I clicked "bookmarks" .. the 1st option listed said "add bookmark" .. so I would click & the whole box would disappear .. so I hastily decided, damn, it didn't work! and never even saw what else was listed .. only, NOW I KNOW (Bob)"it adds it without giving any sign" .. that IT HAD WORKED never crossed my mind ..

Yes, I do believe I have (Kudzu)"some new creation that's been cobbled together" (yahoo & i.e.) .. no wonder it was so hard for people to give me pertinent advice .. that explains alot, doesn't it ..

I know and understand so much more about this whole computer thing (& all the new terms you have taught me!)..you all get an A+ as teachers .. thank you, Phyl

• owbist
    17 years ago

Congratulations to you too Phyl. You stuck with this until you did fully understand it, brilliant. Too many posters ask then walk away and no one knows if help was useful or not. Always remember there are no silly questions, if you do not understand something about the computer asking will often get the answer you need.

There are always lurkers and they too learn from useful extended threads like this one.

• maybee_gw
    17 years ago

I have XP and IE 7...does it still work to bookmark a page by hitting Ctr D?

• andee_gw
    17 years ago

Phyl,
    I want to add something important here: when you Bookmark a webpage, you are not "saving" it. You are only saving a note in your computer where the website is located so when you use the bookmark, the browser takes you to the site. If the site moves/changes its address, then you will not automatically go to the new address.
    If you want to really save a webpage and all the images, etc. that go with it, (in Firefox and probably other browsers) choose "File" from the top menu, and then choose "Save page as..." The webpage, etc. will be saved to your home computer.

• Terrapots
    17 years ago

That last note about saving the web page I learned this year and has proven useful to me because I don't have to be on line to use it and it won't disappear if the site changes. I've been lurking to try to solve a problem I have and the above has added a little more depth to my slowly increasing depth of knowledge, not anyone's fault but due to my overloaded brain (mis)filing system. Others problems and discussions really help as sometimes it's difficult to anticipate questions.

• ross939
    17 years ago

"when I clicked on "help" (which, b.t.w., I had never even NOTICED before, it said: "A.T.&T. Yahoo HELP" .. guess that means that is my "CONNECTION" .. right? RIGHT??"

If you were to click the "ATT Yahoo Help" line, you will be directed to an ATT HELP webpage, where they have a troubleshooting guide. You type in your problem in the form of a key word, then it will try to solve said problem for you.

As per the idea that ATT Yahoo browser is part of your "MY CONNECTION", or is related to being a device that connects your computer, your modem to your dsl phoneline, or to the internet, no, this is not the case. Realize that the DSL modem that ATT provided (or maybe you provided your own)connects your computer to the dsl feed 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Even if your computer is off, the dsl feed is still comming in to your home and is ready to go as soon as you turn it on. ATT Yahoo gives you the browser, or "browser enhancement" when you sign up for the service because they want you to use it. They make money from advertizing. It comes with Yahoo! as its default homepage, and most people will just go with whatever the default homepage might be. When you sign up to dsl, they will tell you when the "switch" will be turned on from the phone company. After it is turned on, you hook up your modem to your computer and to your phone jack (with the little dsl filter box), and bam, that's it. Your computer is ready to go online. I believe that there may be a matter of setting up a LAN setting in the Network Connections area in the control panel, very simple, something that ATT will privide the instructions for, or walk you through, but none of the software they give you has to be installed. I personally like the software OK, but it is provided primarily to encourage its customers to stay on their sites, and ultimately increase their advertising revenues.
    --J