SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lee676

Adding Sound Insulation to a Bosch dishwasher

lee676
11 years ago

I am about to install a low-end Bosch dishwasher in a kitchen. I'd like it to be as quiet as possible, and to that effect am considering wrapping the sides and top with a layer of acoustical insulation that looks like this:

This looks alot like what the more expensive Bosch dishwashers already have from the factory. Bosch advertises different noise levels for its various machines - 39db for the $2,000 model, 40 to 44db for the $1000-ish versions, and 50db and above for the low-end models. The only visible difference, if you've ever seen them before they're installed in cabinetry, is that the more expensive ones have a layer of thick foam insulation wrapped around them, and the cheaper ones just have the thin black vinyl-like stuff that looks like Dynamat (which is also underneath the thick foam/felt stuff on the higher-end dishwashers.

Anyway, is this a good idea? Can I buy this at big-box hardware stores? (they have lots of insulation, but most of it is oriented towards thermal rather than sound insulation). I could probably find a fiberglass dishwasher wrap off an old broken dishwasher that's being replaced by a new one, but those don't seem to work as well.

Is there also a difference in insulation in the door panel that I can't see? Something must account for those different sound ratings, but I can't always tell what it is.

I really want quietness, and wish Bosch (and other brands) offered their most quiet machines without having to pay for all the bells and whistles I don't need. I can do without the third rack, water softener, 15 different cycles, and steam blasts.

Comments (14)