SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cinnamonsworld_gw

Bottom ridge comfort issue w/tub sliding glass doors

cinnamonsworld
13 years ago

In looking at installing a new tub with new sliding glass door, I'm realizing one of the things I really disliked about the last one is that you couldn't sit on the edge of the tub because of the 3/4" to 1" metal ridge that runs along the bottom of the door.

Are there any doors that have a really low-profile ridge (or none at all somehow)? I don't want to go the shower curtain route but other alternatives would be welcome too... ideally something that wouldn't add a lot to costs.

I was thinking about having a tiled box ... probably has a name but I don't know it ... built such that the door edge would be recessed and I'd have a little sitting ledge, but not sure how much extra that would cost or how it would change the type of tub I should buy. The space is a tiled 3-wall alcove that we'll be retiling, and was just planning to get a tub that fits into that such that one side of the tub is exposed.

Not sure I'd go this route if these even exist but it occurred to me that some sophisticated roll-down blind that could be hidden with a beam at the top of an alcove could be one way to avoid the door issue. But it's probably about as practical as gull-wing doors on a car.

Comment (1)