SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breezy_2

HELP with heart pine wood floor problem

breezy_2
16 years ago

I posted this on the flooring forum but thought I would post here as well.

We have used wide plank antique heart pine floors on most of the main floor of our house under construction now...about 2700 sq ft and VERY costly and we supplied them personally from a hand picked source. They are absolutely beautiful. GC INSISTED on putting them down right after sheet rock was finished so the trim, doors etc could be set on top, very old school but risky IMO.

He ASSURED me they would be adequately protected through out the rest of construction and put very heavy corrugated craft paper over them and taped the seams. As one would imagine, seams got torn and tattered, and paper got torn. Today we found that some time back one of his laborers was apparently instructed to clean up and sweep up and so he he spread sweeping compound on the paper in the process. The only problem is that he, in his infinite _____, used sweeping compound with oil in it. We have just discovered this and found over a dozen places where the compound found its way to the raw wood and left significant oil stains.

Upon finding this, we immediatley ripped out the paper from the whole house (Friday evening after a LONG week at work!) and cleaned it up every where to stop the damage (got done about 8 pm). I sanded a couple of spots and am mixed as to whether the stains will sand out completely in the final finish of the floors or not(keeping in mind that the floor sanders take off much more than I could with a simple hand sand).

Anyway, what are anyone's thoughts on whether this will sand out? Should we hand sand with orbitals right now(biggest spots are about 2 feet by 6 inches) to stop the oil from penetrating further or am I over reacting? We are talking $50K in materials alone!

GC is generally pretty good but is reactive instead of proactive. He is good at coming in and saying "that's wrong! tear it out and do it over!" When if more proactive, we get it right first and don't have the redo's...in this case, the redo is monetarily prohibitive (as were a couple of others but he has not learned... but in those cases, it has been us who have had to compromise, not him. We get less than we paid for!).

Thanks much for any input.

Comments (4)