SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
siobhanm_gw

Basketweave questions from a new poster

siobhanm
15 years ago

It's my 1st time posting here but have been reading the awesome advice & ideas. One idea I got from this forum is the basketweave floor - gorgeous!! I like the Delray basketweave marble tile from the Tile Shop. I will only renovate my bathroom once so I want to get it right. I'd appreciate help from anyone that has experience with marble basketweave.

So my questions are:

- Why is the Tile Shop marble basketweave tile so much cheaper than any other I've found? $11.99 per sq ft compared to $29 per sq ft. Is there a quality issue my inexperienced eyes can't see?

- The tile has a polished finish but I want honed. The salesman said all I had to do was dip it in acid to get rid of the polished finish. We were interrupted at that point and I forgot to ask him what kind of acid & how to do it. Is that really a good idea? I have read here about sanding it to get the honed finish. I wonder if that's something I can do myself? I wonder if it's practical with all those little black marble dots on the net.

- What colour grout looks good with basketweave? I'm thinking light grey or an offwhite but of course am concerned about cleaning.

- Last question (for now) Another tile salesperson told me that today's grout is so good, with antimold stuff and sealants already in it, that I can use white grout on my wall tile and not worry about it staining or turning colour?

Is this so? I'm using white subway tiles on the wall.

Thank you for any help you can give this remodeling virgin. This forum is awesome!!!

Siobhan

Comments (20)