SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bryce_

Tavertine strip(?) and reseal

Bryce
9 years ago

Hello,

I've been using my new shower for about 6 months now. The walls are travertine tile (honed and filled), and were sealed with 511 impregnator sealer by the installer. I believe he did a somewhat poor job with it, as he didn't wipe it off completely (you can see streaks from the sealer in several places), and forgot to do several areas which I immediately sealed myself upon discovery.

In any case, the 6 month mark is coming up, and I understand that I should be resealing around now?

I plan to razor the tile in the areas of scum build up (near the soap dish etc, I've done this before), and clean the whole shower with MB-5 from MB Stone Care. I also have some MB-3 Soap Film remover I may use in the areas I razor if I don't get good removal.

A couple questions:
I have somewhat hard water (lime buildup). What is the safest/easiest way to remove limescale from travertine?

I haven't noticed any on the travertine, but I'm sure that it's there. How should I clean this? Or should I bother before resealing at all?

Do I need to strip the sealant first?

Do I need to reseal at this point if I've not noticed any areas which are wetting? The sealant is looking pretty good really, the areas that get the most standing water are still rejecting water 100% as far as I can tell. I still would rather do this as a preventative maintenance item sooner than later...

Thanks,

BM

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH