SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobadebt

Hello & Help needed on how to modify an Angel

bobadebt
16 years ago

Hello & Help needed on how to modify an Angel

Hello

My wife and I are decorating and we just finished putting up our tree.

Last year my sister gave us a beautiful battery operated fiber optic Angel, we thought it was a tree topper.

When we took it out of the package we discovered it was more of a statue and it had a very loud and annoying sound module

I can normally find a way to modify anything to make it suit our needs so I decided to take the angel apart to see if I could remove the sound module and hook the light module directly to a socket on our pre-light tree.

I removed 3 screws and the entire battery compartment and sound module came right out leaving the entire light module and it's 2 power leads intact

I could see that a 22 gauge red wire and a 22 gauge black wire were attached to the battery compartment in parallel so I just cut the wires.

I touched the light modules leads to the battery compartment and the lights came on and it work as it originally did so I knew the light module was still intact and fully functional and there was no additional circuitry needed from the sound modules pc board.

I measured the output of the battery compartment and confirmed that it was 4.5VDC.

The tree operates on standard 115VAC house current.

Does anyone sell a 115VAC to 5VDC converter that I could use to make this work?

It would have to be very small and light.

I would prefer that it come with a plug that would go right into an standard tree bulb socket but if it doesn't I could modify it.

If no one sells a unit like this could I use the guts from a ornament, they type that plugs into the light socket of a pre lite tree or light string?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals
More Discussions