SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Help w/ Modifying Plan

drjoann
14 years ago

We're getting close to choosing a builder, so its time to put the final tweaks on our plan. This is our "forever" home on ~2 fully wooded acres near Greenville, SC. We're empty nesters & grandkids are likely a bit in the future since DD starts law school in the fall. We do have a formal dining room for "date night" & whenever there is someone besides us.

I've copied the kitchen portion and added in some measurements:

Banquette - the red X's indicate where DH & I will normally sit for our meals so that we can look out onto the woods. It won't be built quite like this. Instead of equal sides, we'll shorten 2 of the segments so the other 3 get more room - kinda like a U with the interior corners clipped. The intention of the banquette is to have a cute place for folks to hang out while I cook, etc. The dotted line is about where the table could extend to if we wanted to eat in the kitchen with little kiddos (aka sweet, messy monkeys).

The flat bar is so that folks can pull up a stool and chat while sipping a glass of wine as I cook. The ends of the bar will be clipped to save hips. The walls on either side of the opening to the keeping room are knee walls so I can see the TV & talk to DH when at the sink. The knee walls will be higher than the bar (suggestions?????)

The island doesn't have seating and will be at baking height. In addition, it is a good landing place when putting away groceries. I tried to make the aisles more generous where there will be traffic walking through.

The 10' wall with the single bowl sink & DW are DH's domain. He does the cleanup so this gets him out of my way for cooking & prep. He'll also have his coffee maker there & the toaster so he can make a sandwich & cup of coffee w/o interfering with me.

Issue #1 - I don't like how the house designer (not KD) placed the cooktop. What I will have is either a 36" range or rangetop and I would like it closer to the sink and more centered on the island. If we extended the full height wall to where I've cross-hatched in red (~1') I think this could be done. Doing so would not really obstruct my view from the sink into the keeping room. We talked this over with a potential cabinet builder & he thought it made sense. What do y'all think?

Issue #2 - However, that same cabinet builder thought we should move the ovens from the wall by the refrigerator over to the place where the DW currently is in DH's domain. Where the ovens were would now become a base cabinet & upper with the corner of the base clipped to match the other side. His reasoning is that we don't want two "monolithic" elements, a fridge and wall ovens, together. He claims that moving the ovens would make the kitchen seem bigger. DH doesn't really lose out because his coffee pot & toaster now go over by the fridge.

I can see the sense in this, but I'm uneasy for three reasons:

a.) Now _my_ ovens are over in DH's "territory". I know that may sound ridiculous, but I was trying to decouple our activities in the kitchen as much as possible.

b.) With the ovens by the fridge, I can just pivot to the island to take something out that needs attention. The island counter will be soapstone, so this seemed perfect. If the ovens are moved, then the natural landing spot is where DH may have dirty dishes or pans that he hasn't processed yet. Also, the perimeter counters will be granite so I will have to use a trivet if I put a hot pan on them.

c.) When something is in the oven that needs infrequent attention, it is now further from either the keeping room or banquette where I will likely be.

Anyway, what is y'all's take on relocating the ovens? I don't think it is as functional, but do the aesthetics outweigh the perceived disadvantages?

Thanks for your inputs. They are much appreciated.

Jo Ann

Comments (10)