SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hockeywidow_gw

Plumbing Fixtures - Buying through US websites vs. Canada?

hockeywidow
14 years ago

I posted over on the plumbing board but not getting any responses, so I thought I'd try over here ....

We're building a new house in the Vancouver, Canada area, and have been doing some research on various forums on getting good prices on plumbing fixtures. I've read that faucets are considerably cheaper from various US websites - and the prices I've seen do seem to confirm that. I would say that most seem to be at least 50% less???

I would make sure that they are CSA approved models.

BUT, in talking to my builder, he said there were a few things I should look into before buying fixtures in the US over the Internet.

1. There is a difference between the "professional" lines sold through his plumbing stores and the kinds sold at Home Depot - even though they make look the same. Is this true for the ones on websites? Or if the model # is the same, then it would be the same as the "professional" line?

2. He had an insurance company void a claim because the shower fixture that caused the leak wasn't purchased in Canada.

My builder would give us his whole contractor discount so he doesn't make any $ off us buying fixutres from his suppliers. He said it's up to us where we purchase the fixtures, but he can't warranty them if they're not purchased through one of his various suppliers (and he has accounts at all the local plumbing supply stores).

Has anyone who is building a new home install fixtures purchased in the States? The prices seem to be so much less, am I missing something??? Is there something that makes it different if I'm building a new home versus an existing home with plumbing? Or does anyone have any feedback? Thanks!

Comments (4)