SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pineapplecake

Replacing counter & sink only -- stupid?

pineapplecake
13 years ago

We're thinking of replacing the countertop and sink (and faucet) in our powder room without replacing the actual vanity cabinet. The sink has to be replaced because it's chipped and rusted. The countertop is tile and is already cracked. I'm extremely doubtful that we could replace the sink without destroying the counter, and since it's already cracked it's due anyway. The cabinet itself is fine. It's not great (it's original to the house from 1988), but it has no problems. I'd like to avoid the expense and trouble of replacing it.

I think if we pulled the cabinet out, we'd end up having to replace the floor too. That of course means pulling out the toilet, at which point we might as well replace that (it's original too). And the baseboards would have to come off to replace the floor. They're old, if we're going to pull them off we should replace them. I already think we'll probably have to replace the mirror above because it's a big frameless mirror abutted directly against the wood backsplash from the current countertop. Maybe we'll get lucky and find a new countertop + backsplash that will fit perfectly there, and can avoid breaking it in the installation process, but I don't know.

It sure is a slippery slope from fixing a damaged sink to having to replace almost everything in the room!

Anyway, my question is, is it really foolish to try to pull off the countertop and put a new one on? Will I be sorry? Is it impossible to do successfully?

Comments (5)