SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenfromknoxville

??? for Bill V, Kevin or another Stone Person

karenfromknoxville
15 years ago

Hi,

My bathroom needs to be resealed already. The installer used TileLab sealer (sold at HD) on the bathroom and shower walls and I'm not sure he even sealed the shower floor (wasn't there when he put down the floor). I've noticed some dark grey spots on my calcutta marble bathroom floor and shower floor. Today I tested the bathroom floor (that I know he sealed) with some water. Sure enough there were dark grey spots where I put the water.

I called TileLab because even though the marble was sealed in late November, I only moved in this May. Which means I've only used the bathroom for over 2 months. The technical assistance person at TileLab said their stated 20 year warranty only covers how good the product will be in the container it has nothing to do with the lenght of time between sealing. In fact, he told me that they recommend sealing every 6 months. Talk about misleading advertising! I was furious!

The technical assistance person at Aquamix recommended cleaning the stone with their cleaner and then applying their Sealer's Choice Gold sealer. The rationale was that it didn't sound like the installer put down more then 1 coat of sealer and the marble was very porous. Hence switching products shouldn't be a big problem.

My questions for you are does that make sense? Is this what you would recommend doing or should I reapply the TileLab? Also what is the difference between a water based sealer and a solvent based sealer? How do you know which one to use?

I wish I started reading this forum before the installer used TileLab!

Thank you very much for your help!

Karen

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor