SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlosmom

lesson learned, wanted to share

arlosmom
15 years ago

I posted this initially in the kitchen forum, where someone suggested folks in the building forum might be interested.

We're at the tail end of building a two story addition that included kitchen, two baths and new master bedroom. I wanted to share something I did that turned out to be a real blessing.

At my husband's suggestion, I kept a construction journal from the start. I tried to be diligent about noting conversations, progress, what workers were around and generally what the progress was, when orders were placed and received, etc. I also kept track of when I left phone messages and whether these calls were returned. It was really helpful, not only because I could provide these details back when necessary which has happened a couple of times, but during times when I was frustrated and at my wits end I could look back and see that we really DID make progress each and every week. Overall, our contractors were very good but if things were bad, I'd have been especially thankful for the documentation. It takes some discipline, but I was thankful to have the papertrail.

I also took lots and lots of digital pictures (I think I'm over 1,000). I have pictures of every phase of construction, what the framing, wiring and plumbing look like behind the drywall, closeups of any work we had issues with, pictures of the good, the bad and the ugly. Best case scenario, they just make for interesting viewing later (it's fun to see the hell we lived through now that its nearly over). Worst case scenario, they document situations and give a guide for where to break through drywall to find pipes, junction boxes and whatever else lurks back there.

I mostly visited the kitchen forum, but all of the forums have been such a valuable source of information and support, and my project is much better for it. Thanks all!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH