SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Lessons learned....

bethnorcal9
7 years ago

I just thought I would share with you guys some revelations I've discovered this last yr or so. I just turned 59 in April, and have been growing roses (and being obsessed) for over 30yrs now. I have made it a goal to collect as many hard-to-find and unusual roses as I possibly could. Many are still growing in pots of various sizes. Many have died.

This last yr was a really tough one. I worked at the local Ace Hardware store for over 25 1/2yrs in the Garden Dept. Eight yrs ago, my niece and I opened up a craft shop when the owners of Ace decided they no longer wanted to carry crafts. After all, it is a HARDWARE store.... So for the last 8 (well, actually 7 of those) yrs, I worked two jobs, six days a week. I continued to collect and plant and often neglect the many roses I have. Well, last August, the owners of Ace decided to retire and hand the store over to their son-in-law. Shortly thereafter, I was "released from employment" for no given reason. It's been really hard. Unemployment ran out in Feb, and I still haven't been able to find a job. Truth is, I'm not sure I want to. But I have to. The craft shop is on the verge of closing up, due to really low sales, and well... just bad timing with this economy. Then my husband's job got changed and he lost a big chunk of income. He just turned 60 and was wanting to retire at 62, but now he can't. We are barely making ends meet. Luckily his parents' home sold last yr and we are sort of living on what's left of that money, but it won't last forever that's for sure!! We are both really hating getting old.

What I'm leading up to tho, is.... now that I have all this extra time (I only work at the shop 3 days a week) I'm finally getting out there to try and clean up my yard. I can only get my husband out there on his days off, Sat & Sun. We've been out in the heat working in the shady areas until the sun hits there. Digging out oak and walnut trees planted by the squirrels. And OMG, the wild blackberries. Holy cow, we filled almost an entire green waste can with berry bush cuttings from two flower beds! And then there's the infernal underplantings that I wish I had never planted. OMG if you live in a warm zone... DO NOT PLANT CENTRANTHUS RUBER!!!! I understand it's an annual in some climates, but in mine, it's as invasive, if not more so than the blackberries!! The plants grow 4-5ft tall, with lovely little clusters of pink, mauve, and occasionally white, flower heads. They look pretty in the spring, but when they're done blooming, they look awful and then they start spreading. If you don't get ahead of them it's all over! I have not cleaned most of the beds out for around 4-5yrs. I was just waaay too tired and overworked. Now we're paying for it.

That crap has killed several of my roses, some of which are absolutely irreplaceable! I went out this morning to assess what roses were missing, hoping there weren't too many, or that they are ones easily replaced. Nope.. well, a couple of them I can eventually get from RVR if they restock them one day. Like JOANNA HILL. Maybe I don't need to have her, but, that was the rose my mom carried in her wedding, so I'd like to someday replace her. Got her from Vintage Gardens yrs ago, and she never did much of anything anyway. But that led me to one of my big revelations... I simply should not plant band-sized own root roses in the ground until they are the size of a 2yr old grafted plant! They just do not do well in my soil even with decent amendments. If I want them to make it, I have to pot them up for a few yrs first. JOCELYN is another one RVR does carry from time to time. But the Carlton's Roses florist roses ALTER EGO and CHERRY BRANDY I cannot replace. Nor another one from Vintage Gardens, POTTON HERITAGE. I loved that rose.

Yep those dang plants choked them out. That darn Centranthus Ruber has these fat, fleshy roots that spread all over almost like a rhizome. And they are not easy to pull out! some of them wrapped around the base of a few of the roses. And OMG the lemon balm too! Aaah I suppose that's gotta be in the mint family. That stuff popped up all over too. And it gets massive roots too. Oh and salvias! Do not plant salvias. Especially "Hot Lips!" OMG I have been yanking three of those bushes out of two beds the last several yrs. They just keep coming back. And I also stupidly planted these cute little "freebie" bulbs from Brecks that I got with an order over 6yrs ago.... Crocosmia. Holy crap the millions of tiny little baby bulbs that you can't possibly find all of them to dig the little B@$t@rd$ out!!

Sorry...I'm ranting on so... I just am so upset at losing so many roses... due to my own neglect and stupidity. And we've only just begun to yank this crap out. I'm absolutely dreading going on to the next bed and the next one... to find out just how many more rare roses I have lost. It's sickening. And the bed I am dreading the most, thankfully doesn't have that many rare roses, but it's going to be the nightmare one... especially the longer it is neglected... The outer corner bed where the fire hydrant and the telephone pole are. Oh, those are accessible ok, but the main part of the bed is heavily overgrown with (yet another invasive plant) yarrow and the largest octopi of blackberry bushes in the yard... Ugh. That's going to be horrible. But we must persist. Not only to save to roses, but to save anyone from getting injured by those killer thorns!!

My lessons learned (too late)...

1. Do not plant companion plants in the rose beds

2. Do not neglect cleaning up the rose beds

3. Do not plant band-sized roses in the ground for at least 3yrs

1. Use more soil amendments when planting

2. Mulch and fertilize more often

6. Occasionally check sprinklers to make sure they're covering the entire rose bed area
Anyway, I just wanted to tell you guys my tales of woe. If anyone wants to commiserate on your own lessons learned about planting or losing plants... please feel free to add your stories too!!

Comments (20)