SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dorys_prentice

Lessons learned - Buying appliances on Ebay

Dorys Prentice
3 years ago

I just learned a very expensive lesson buying an appliance on Ebay and dealing with the manufacturer for warranty. I purchased a bosch B36CL80ENS refrigerator from Ebay which claimed that it had a full manufacturer's warranty. Before I purchased, I asked the seller for the SN and then called Bosch to confirm the warranty. Bosch confirmed the unit was under warranty, so I purchased the refrigerator. I checked online reviews and I've never seen any appliance have such rave reviews so i figured I was safe. Plus, I've never ever had an appliance go bad on me.

Several months ago the unit started beeping an hour or two after the last time we opened the freezer and accidentally left it slightly open. The alarm did not go off immediately, but hours later. As time progressed, the alarm would go off for no reason. It was always the freezer alarm. Then it started going off every 3-4 hours, yes even at 3am EVERY morning. That is when we noticed that the freezer was actually not cooling. We called Bosch for warranty repair, the unit was still under warranty. But just barely, they used the manufacturer date and not the date I bought the unit and installed it as the start of the warranty period.

Anyway, to make a long story long, the Bosch repair person came out, diagnosed the issue to be a problem in the freezer's compressor. He said the lines were way too small and can easily pinch down so the refrigerant couldn't get through. He said he would order parts and come back to fix it. This is the Bosch Authorized Service person. 2.5 wks later, he came back. After about 30 mins we could here him pick up the phoen and say, "I can't fix this." After he got off the phone he said to us "Well, I have good news and bad news." The bad news is that this model refrigerator uses a new butane system that is under extreme pressure and requires a $3000 tool to handle the capture of the pressurized butane and that no one has that tool right now. But the good news is that Bosch will replace the unit under warranty. However, I need to provide the original sales receipt, which I did.

1 week later we have not heard back from Bosch so we called them. Apparently, even though I called and verified that the serial number was good with Bosch directly, because I did not buy directly from an authorized dealer, they will not replace the unit. My husband, who has the most incredible people skills on the planet, could not convince the manager at Bosch that their policy was completely not consumer friendly. The unit was purchased from an authorized dealer at some point, why does it matter if I'm not the first purchaser if it's never been registered with them?

So now we have a $3000 paper weight. Who in the hell manufactures a product that can't be fixed in the field? What is going to happen to those that purchased this unit when their warranty is up? The repair man said that this unit is destined to fail because the lines on this compressor are too small to handle the pressurized butane. My husband, who is knowledgeable in this stuff, said that if the compressor blows with this pressurized butane it will take out the side of the house and probably kill someone.

The sad thing is out of all the counter depth refrigerators in the price range, this is the ONLY one that I liked the configuration of in a price point I could afford. However, I will NEVER buy a Bosch again. Also, I will never buy a large appliance off Ebay again... And since I bought just about every appliance in the kitchen off ebay, I have to pray no other appliances go bad.

Take this for what it is worth.

Comments (15)