SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shooter_mcgee

Pick everything out before you start if you can!

shooter_mcgee
16 years ago

I have been reading this forum for 3 1/2 years. Came here not knowing jack about building a home and over the course of the last 3 1/2 years, went through the whole 9 yards--lot purchase, house plan, financing, builder selction, contracting, etc., etc., etc. This was a custom build.

For those of you just getting started, it can be done. We had a very smooth build, had a good time, live in a house we love and kept costs in check (all of that said, I don't think I could do it again--just too much work was involved.)

Someone recently asked what my number one piece of advice would be and the subject line of this post is it. Honestly, I don't know how you could stay sane and on budget unless you picked everyhting out before you sign the contract (however, I should say that we have small kids and work, so if you have more free time, that's another story...). Plus, this makes you devote the time to putting together such a detailed contract that there will be very few things slip through the cracks.

You often read in here about the dreaded 15-20% over budget numbers. I always wondered if people were talking about the increase being from the time they decided on an initial budget to the time they signed the contract or the increase they had to pay out of pocket after signing the contract. Well, guess what percentage my house was over from the time I decided on an intial budget to the time we signed the contract--almost 15% exactly. However, after signing the contract, we paid exactly 7/10 of 1% out of pocket for "overages". So, my advice is to pick everything out you can and then stick to it. You CAN stay on budget and build a house. I will also add though that things like blinds and decorating, furniture, mowers, shelving, etc. add up fast too!

Just a bit of unsolicited advice for the newbies out there.

Comments (21)