SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wnymom

How long does a complete remodel take?

wnymom
14 years ago

As I get ready to select a contractor, I have numerous questions, which I will post separately if you all don't mind. This is our first major remodel, so I have a lot to learn before I proceed.

My first question is how long does a complete remodel generally take? I have had two different quotes for a complete gut/remodel of an 8x7 hall bathroom.

The first contractor told me 7 days. He would start when all materials are delivered, and would basically do in one day what contractor 2 would do in a week. (I know that's not necessarily a good thing).

The second contractor told me 5 weeks and gave me a complete breakdown: week 1:complete demo & set up with light framing, week 2: roughing of all plumbing & electrical; week 3:insulation sheetrock and taping; week 4:tile and finish carpentry; week 5:painting and shower door install.

Contractor #2 also added in allowances for fixtures/cabinets/granite/tile, shower door in his total price. How does that work? Do I have to buy everthing through him or can I shop to get better prices elsewhere?

Contractor #2 also told me he would be running new plumbing from the basement up to the bathroom. Contractor #1 told me he will change the plumbing in the bathroom only and inspect the rest of the plumbing after the gut, and additional plumbing work would be done only if needed. My house was built in 1920 and I'm sure has either the original pipes or perhaps pipes from the 1950's - I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments (9)