SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lithnights

What if spec sheet differs from blueprints? Which one rules?

lithnights
10 years ago

We are in the midst of our home being built and are realizing there are difference between the contract/specs, and the actual blueprints (permit set) drawings.

When we signed the contract, the included spec sheet was a generic listing that the builder said they often use. At that time, they had presented us with various elevations but we hadn't finalized one. There was not one as part of the signed contract, nor was there a listing of upgrades/options. Once the contract was signed, the architect drew up blueprints, which we then initialed. We assumed, unless something was listed as an option, that we were getting the design and features listed on the blueprints.

So, I am wondering when there is an inconsistency between the spec sheet (included with contract), and the actual blueprints drawn up afterwards, which one rules.

e.g. the spec sheet states "premium steel insulated 9 lite single door" but every elevation we were shown before we signed, and the blueprints themselves, show a 6 panel solid door with 2 sidelites and a top transom. So which one rules?

e.g. the spec sheet states "6 foot insulated vinyl sliding", but every elevation and the blueprints show it with a top transom.

e.g. the spec sheet doesn't mention stone at all but every elevation we were shown beforehand shows more stone than what is drawn on the blueprint elevation.

e.g. The heating section states only, "Gas heat with central air. Performance 85% single stage by York". But we were verbally told that anytime they do a house over 3K sq ft (ours is 3250), that they do 2 units. Yesterday, when I met with the HVAC guy for the first time, we were told they were doing a single 5 ton unit, and if we wanted anything more it would be about $3500 for a zoned system, or about $6000 for a 2 unit system. I know I should have tried to clarify1 or 2 unit in the contract but they told me the HVAC manufacturer would later figure it out (Manual J) and thus they couldn't tell us for sure until then.

e.g. The spec sheet states 50 gallon hot water heater, but the blueprints show 75 gallon.

There are many areas on the blueprints that state "optional" for certain things like garage utility tub, extra fireplace, and I would expect to pay extra for those. But the above examples I mention are not listed as options on the blueprint.

So does the contract/spec sheet trump the blueprints, or does the blueprint trump the spec sheet?

I plan to talk to a real estate lawyer about this, but I wanted to know if anyone is familiar or has gone through this.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor