SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
auroraborelis

Floor plan advice - around in circles we go!

auroraborelis
11 years ago

I feel like we are coming closer to a final floor plan however I'm still feeling very anxious. I'm not sure what is bothering me exactly, maybe it is just that this is a non-traditional floor plan and I'm afraid we are making a mistake.

Our main requirement was to have an open great room floor plan that still has some separation between the kitchen and living areas. In addition, we wanted lots of light and windows in my kitchen, and there are very few single story floor plans out there that even have windows in the kitchen! We did go to MANY open houses to get an idea of what we want, and we did find one with the same main room layout (link below) as the house and we are designing, and we loved the feeling of it.

A bit about us, at the moment it is just my husband and I, but I'm pregnant with our first child, and we may have one more. We are trying to build our forever house as land is VERY hard to come by in our area, and we'd rather not repeat this process a second time!

Here is our plan: Any suggestions, corrections or comments appreciated!

The stairs lead to an unfinished bonus room and spare bedroom over the garage, and down to an unfinished basement which will eventually be a media room, utility room, and wine cellar. Upstairs will mostly be for guests and a playroom for the kids when they older, and downstairs will be used by the whole family. Lavender Lass drew the current stair arrangement for us, and it is a great solution, however I�m still wondering if there are any other ways this could be done.

Concerns that have been raised previously

- Walking past the kid's room to get to the media room. - I think we are okay with this especially as with this setup the media room itself won't be beneath the kids rooms.

-Hallway bathroom for one bedroom. - We need a full bathroom in the hallway for young guests who may sleep in the media room or bonus room, and possibly to serve the upstairs bedroom (not sure if we will have a bathroom there or not at this point as it will be finished down the line). If you see a way to put another full bath in please let us know, we do have about 100 extra square feet to play with.

-Currently the arrangement of the kitchen appliances could use some reworking, but I'm not too concerned about that until we get everything else sorted out.

- While the rear view is my my favorite, the view out the front is quite nice, and we are okay with not being able to watch the kids playing from the kitchen windows. Besides, the front of the house is about 75 ft from the road, so there will be lots of space to play there as well!

- The covered area will be a BBQ area and small outdoor dining area, while the main outdoor eating/lounging area will be further from the house near the pool. The BBQ area needs to be kept closer to the house as we use it at least a couple times a week year round.

- Lavender Lass also did an excellent rework of the masterbath which has not been incorporated into this plan yet.

Here are some of our inspiration photos:

Main room:

Traditional Dining Room design by Photographer Elad Gonen & Zeev Beech

Kitchen:

Contemporary Kitchen design by Austin Interior Designer PPDS

Elevation:

Also, as the main floor area is a bit different, I've included a link to a virtual open house that had a similar main room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Similar Great Room/Dining/Kitchen layout

Comments (40)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County