SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Death Sprial, could it be a virus?

jerry_nj
17 years ago

Yesterday I posted that my just returned home notebook had dropped out of a XP Home running state to a DOS-like text display saying there is a partition error. I next reported that I turned off my external hard drive, re-booted and all seemed fine, turns out it was not. First I rand Scan Disk, the one that has to be run from boot-up, this ended up in trouble..so I decided to uninstall my last software update, a large update on Acrobat Professional, moved up to 7.0.9. This lead to continuing problems getting the system to boot, even in "safe mode", but I did get it up once in safe mode and started the uninstall, this failed. After many more attempts to reboot, each with increasing delay and difficulty, I decided to go to the old restore disk (big decision this is XP SP1, which would require SP2 and everything since, I assume), the system will now not boot from the CD. The most I can get out of the system is the start-up XP display that allows me to hit Fx, F8 no longer works (safe mode) this ends in a "black" screen of death (like the old blue screen of death from W9x days). If I click F10 I do get set up but can not navigate the first page which would allow me to turn off shadow memory and some the possible helps, and it does give me access to boot sequence (which used to work as it was, I had to restore the system when the computer was first purchased) and I removed "floppy disk" and put CD first in the order. Still, the system will not boot to CD, just goes to the black death screen, not off, just dormant. This has led me to be happy I have 98% (Approximately) of my data backed up, just the stuff from the two day trip is potentially lost, and has started me off on a look for a replacement notebook.

Does this story read like a bad virus that is eating the HDD "alive"? I haven't heard of anything of late, and I note too I had just replaced the Windows XP firewall with the free ZoneAlarm at the start of the trip. My AVG is/was up to date too, and I didn't visit any strange web sites.

On a new notebook, it looks to me like dual-core, 1GB or more of RAM, and large HDDs are in order if I have to run Vista (it seems to already be loaded on most hardware I see in Staples, BJs, Walmart, Circuit City. This lead me to look at Acer Aspire, it is available with all this, including Vista Premium and up to 120 Gbytes of HDD for around $700. I'm also looking at some slower old stock that may have XP Home for under $500, one Compaq at BJs, display model is $450. As the machine will be used for email, typical office stuff, and web browsing, I don't need all the big power "stuff" and am thinking of going for the Compaq, if not I think I have to go with Acer to get the "horse power" needed and still stay low cost.

Comments (20)