SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grinder12000

Inside photos and a funny story from last night!

grinder12000
16 years ago

We were sleeping soundly when at 1:45 in the morning we are awaken with a BAM BAM SPLASH SPLASH.

Now when you move into a new house there are all sorts of new sounds that will wake you up and you will normally lay there being a detective until you figure out it is the ice cube maker or water softener or whatever.

This one was an odd one though. The cats? No they were both asleep on my legs making me paralyzed and uncomfortable but you dont want to wake them up (like they will not have any other opportunities to sleep during the day). So I laid there mulling over scenarios.

Then I heard a very low ssssss.

The sprinklers on the golf course were going off. When we moved in we had so much rain that only in the last three days were they turning on. It's a pleasing sound and they look pretty cool in action.

ssssssssss - hmmmmmmm

sssssssssssssssssssssss - HMMMMMMMMM

I get up to investigate and walk into the kitchen and into the breakfast nook when my feet start to feel damp.

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss - damp my BUTT, there are wet puddles on our hardwood floors. I go to get a towel and start to wipe up the floor.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS BAM BAM SPLASH SPLASH SPLASH water is spraying into the house and slamming against the deck. I have discovered a hidden golf course sprinkler not five yards away from our newly seeded lawn.

As the fire hose size blast of water spirals our house is half way between the nozzle and the waters landing zone. YIPES!!!

Well we're getting a free watering for the new grass, but it's not a good thing for watering the plants INSIDE. I shut the sliding glass door and look at all the other windows to make sure I have all the bases covered for keeping the water outside.

Case closed.

I think I will not mention this for a few weeks to get the free lawn watering but I'll make sure that the sliding door is closed on every night.

--------

As I mentioned - it's not a huge house, only two of us and why do two people need a big house. 1600 sq ft is very manageable. Master bedroom, my study, a quite room (3rd bedroom) where the animals like to hang out, great room, breakfast nook, kitchen and unfinished basement, 3 car garage and a double size deck.

Here is the back of the house with the deck. We started with a 12x14 foot deck but that is really too small if you put any sort of table on it so we put a sliding glass door in the Master Bedroom to another deck and linked the two.

{{gwi:1456511}}

Have not really fix this up yet.

{{gwi:1456513}}

Great Room - this makes it look a little smaller then it really is . . . of maybe the 17 foot ceilings are fooling us.

We went with a Mendota DXV35 gas fireplace. The default seems to be Lennox fireplaces but those are builder boxes and since it's not like a car and you will have it for 20 years we upgraded and are VERY happy we did.

That is a Mitsubishi 53 inch HD with a 7.1 surround sound speaker system. Notice where I have the center speaker (bet you did not even see it). The SUB is out of view, it's as tall as the TV. (SVS makes awesome sub woofers google them)and you don't see the ceiling fan.

{{gwi:1456515}}

Kitchen is off the great room - nothing special and at first we were worried about the "openness" situation but but we love it!!

{{gwi:1456517}}

Right off the kitchen is the breakfast nook/sunroom. This looks out onto the fairway and faces due south. this is where the course sprinkler came in.

{{gwi:1456519}}

Our vision is to have an Autumn Blaze maple shading this room and a clump of river birch on the east side. Golf balls are not a worry (trust me - I studied this a lot before buying the land), sure we might get a couple but I'm not expecting a lot of trouble (as some houses on golf courses have).

That's it - our humble abode. My wife DJ, me, sierra the kitten, Milo the cat (who is on Prozac . . honestly) and Blake our Cardi Corgi. All happy campers (especially Milo).

Comments (16)