SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevedowty

Problem with Capital Culinarian

stevedowty
12 years ago

I had my 30-inch Culinarian installed in June, and I have to say that overall I LOVE this range. It's pretty much everything I was led to believe it was from the comments found on this forum, so thanks to everyone (and most of all, to Trevor).

However, I do have one little problem. I have a gas leak. Which, of course, isn't actually all that little.

The kitchen always has a slight smell of gas, worst in the mornings after a whole night of inactivity. It could be in the gas line, or in the connection, but I believe it's in the range itself, and here's why: when you turn the burners off, the flames don't immediately go out. Instead, tiny blips of flame continue to pop out of the holes in the burner ring for about 2 seconds, sometimes followed by a single, final burst of flame. This leads me to believe that the knobs aren't completely cutting off the flow of gas in the 'off' position. The leak isn't feeding enough gas to allow the burners to remain lit, but it is enough to cause a noticeable smell long after the range has been in use.

The installer says they've never come across a problem like this, and arranged for Capital to call me so I could explain this directly to them. That was last week; Capital still hasn't called. This is, of course, not the sort of problem you can just shrug off, regardless of the amount of investment in the range--it's a safety issue. Right now the gas is turned off leading to the kitchen, so we're safe...but we can't cook.

If anyone can give me any kind of insight into this--what the problem might be, what it isn't, how to get Capital to respond, anything at all--I'd be most appreciative.

(Final note: I did a lot of checking around. There isn't a single high-end range made that doesn't have at least a few expensive maintenance issues associated with it from time to time. Some are better than others, but none is perfect, and getting a range with a weird problem is, I think, just luck of the draw. When I say that I love the Culinarian, I really do mean it, and I'd definitely recommend it to others...contingent on this problem getting fixed.)

Comments (8)