SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amcook_gw

Capital Culinarian.. in person...

amcook
13 years ago

Thanks to Trevor, I was able to see a live Culinarian at the Capital factory in Santa Fe Springs (Southern California). When I got there, I was greeted by Surjit Kalsi. We were a bit early so he went over a bit of his background and how this range came about while we waited for the range to be prepared.

Initial impression is that this is a very well built range with a lot of attention to detail. Oven was very refined and interior was very cleanly designed. The prototype was the self cleaning model which has the rolling racks. The design of the racks is quite nice. They lift right out with one hand and moved very smoothly. The don't pull all the way out but in my opinion, they rolled out far enough to provide access. That said, I don't think I will go for the self-cleaning model just for the racks and I do my roti cooking on the grill/smoker outside.

My main reason for wanting to see the range was to check out the burners and how the flame distribution looked. I also wanted to see how well the range would work with a wok. When I went from a sealed burner to the BS open burner, it was night and day. The difference between the Capital burner and Bluestar's is obviously not as great but I never expected it to be. What I was mainly concerned about is that the pictures seem to show the outer ring of nozzles to flare out a bit more than that of the BS. I have to say that if anything, the heat seems a bit more concentrated in the center which I think is a good thing. I timed how long it took the Bluestar to heat a lightly oiled wok to see how long it took for it to start smoking. It takes about 40s on high. I ran the same test on the Capital and it took about 35s with the wok on top of their prototype wok grate which sits the bottom of the wok at about the same level as the top of a standard grate. The test is hardly conclusive but it does tell me that the amount of heat delivered to the bottom center of the wok is concentrated and about as (if not a bit more) intense as with BS.

One problem I ran into is that the wok grate didn't fit the 14" wok that I'd brought. Some woks have a deeper profile than others and the wok grate was designed for a shallower profile wok. I hope they will fix this before finalizing the dedicated wok grate. In general, I think if they designed the wok grate to fit the deeper profile wok, it will fit all woks because the shallower wok will rest on the outer (upper) part of the grate which would still provide stable support. As it's designed now, a deeper profile wok is unstable on the dedicated wok grate. To make things worse, the existing Capital cast iron wok ring has the same problem. This is a pretty big deal for me but I'm not beyond taking a perfectly good grate and hacking off parts of it to make my wok fit better. For those interested in wok cooking but don't want to have to do mods, then make your objections known to Capital. IMHO, there is a problem with their existing wok options unless you have a 16" or larger shallow profile wok *or* you are willing to use a third party wok ring (ick!). It would have been an absolute slam dunk for me if they had a more wok friendly grate design. Frankly, if BS didn't have the problems with the door, I'd have gone with them. It is that close of a decision for me.

I asked about the stainless surface under the burner grates and was simply told that it wasn't a problem. Frankly, I'm still a bit concerned about stains and splatters burning on that surface. I would likely cover that surface with foil to prevent any possible staining problem but it's pretty well covered up by the grate so even if some staining occurred there, I can live with it. Just shows that it's well used and loved.

One interesting detail I found out was that they are planning on offering the dedicated wok burner as an option. This is the 30k *open* burner they only offered previously as a standalone 24" rangetop insert. On a 30" range, it would take up 2 of the 4 burners but on any of the larger ranges, it would replace 4 of the burners. I'd love go with this option but I'd lose too many burners on the 48" range. I would have to consider the 60" range. Ironically, if I were in the market for a 30" range, I'd probably go with the wok burner because I'd only be giving up a single burner for it.

Overall, I had a very positive impression of the range. If the difference were just the burners, then I may just go with the Bluestar since that's what I know and am very happy with. Also, the option (even if it's not UL certified) of removing the inner part of the grate to fit a wok would make me lean towards BS. Given the problems with the oven door (sticking and hot) on the BS however, the Capital Culinarian wins out. I am hopeful that Trevor can work with them on the wok options to ensure that they can provide an option that will work with a variety of woks. I have a 16" shallow wok at home which I think will work fine with the wok grate but the wok I brought was my Dad's which is smaller and has the deeper profile. It did not seem to me that Mr. Kalsi really understood how important the wok option is to some people. I'm pretty sure he reads Gardenweb now so please speak up if it's important to you. I'm already guilty of hacking apart a BS grate so it's not difficult for me to go there but I know most people would not want to have to do that in order to make modifications on a new range to get what they want out of it.

In the end, I decided to go ahead and order the Capital Culinarian. I wouldn't say that the Culinarian blew me away but I did like the build quality and felt that it won on more points than it lost. Unfortunately for me, the one critical point that it lost was one of my key requirements. And to put it bluntly, if you don't do stir-fry then 23k BTU burners are just a "nice to have". If you don't do any wok cooking, then it'd be pretty easy for me to recommend the Culinarian.

Happy cooking.

Comments (93)