SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laremodel_gw

Need help with 10x14' Master Bath Layout

LARemodel
9 years ago

The existing Master Bathroom is split into two rooms: the first room is carpeted, 8'x10'. It has dual sinks and an underused walk-in closet. There is a doorway, but no door separating the master bedroom from the vanity area of the bathroom. There is an inoperable skylight above the vanity - brings in lots of natural light - but no way to block the sun on the rare occasions that I get to "sleep-in."

The second room is tiled, 6.25' x 12.5' with a 66" alcove tub under the window, a 30x60" walk-in shower and a toilet. There is a standard door between the vanity area and the tub-shower-toilet area. The toilet feels closed in, between the wall and the sliding glass doors to the shower. It's awkward for turning on the shower controls. Also, the layout separates the toilet from the sinks - need to open a door to get from the toilet to the sink.

The North and East walls are exterior walls.

I'm a single parent - my teen son likes to use the tub and shower in my master bath. So, our privacy issues are different then this would be for a married couple; however, I never did find it romantic to brush my teeth in front of a significant other. Just adding a doorway between the bedroom and bathroom would help, but I want a door that swings open, not a pocket door.

I feel claustrophobic in water closets, but would be OK with an arrangement that includes a window and sink in the wc.

I'm including two revised layouts that I'm considering. I'll send these in separate messages.

The "wet room" option keeps the tub and shower in one room and moves the toilet next to the sinks. I like the idea of having a splash zone.My son finds it difficult to contain the water in the shower or bath.

The second option (Option B) swaps one sink with the bathtub. This seems like a simpler option since I don't need to add a window.

I'm open to suggestions.

Comments (8)