SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunflowermom54944

Is my computer a gone-er?

SunflowerMom
12 years ago

Our computer is a Dell desktop with XP (service pack 3)with Office 2003. Things have really gone downhill in the last 10 days. I was on the computer and all of sudden something seemed to take over my computer - it would not allow me to open anything - anything that tried to open came up and immediately closed down. It was doing what appeared to be a scan of my computer. The only thing it would let me do was open a screen to try and sell me some software to fix what was happening. I did not bite on that. However, we seemed to get everything under control by running my SUPERAntivirus Scan, my AVG Scan, clean disk and defrag.

Then on Sunday morning we got email and checked a few sites online. Sunday evening we could not get on the internet or check email and have not since. On Monday I did try a System Restore, in fact I tried several different dates but it just said that it could not do a System Restore and nothing had been changed. The computer was turned off from Tuesday - this morning due to a trip out of state for a family funeral. Turned it back on

this afternoon and still the same thing.(as if it would have fixed itself, huh?) Everthing that we try doing takes forever to load including start up, Word, and Excel but they are soooo slow.

I did use a laptop to attempt to find out why my System Restore would not restore. It might be a registry problem, but we cannot get onto the Internet to give the fixer tool a try.

Anyone have any ideas? Do I take it to the Geek Squad?

Additional Information, if helpful:

Computer is a Dell Dimension 8300 purchased in February 2004. We did install a RoKu device for Internet TV & a wireless router (even though the computer itself is not wireless).

Comments (11)