SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_in_va

OT: Trip to ER cost me my computer time!

jennifer_in_va
16 years ago

Guess I missed a few new quilts and things posted last night. Am trying to catch up quickly before running out this morning.

But wanted to share what I was doing....Had to make our first trip to the ER with my 2 1/2yo son!!

The history is that I have a 14yo dog that's very arthritic and can't do the substandard steps on the old deck here at the house. So just after we moved in DH made a handicapped ramp off the deck for him. The kids KNOW they are not supposed to play on it, but kids will be kids and a climbing boy will climb! No matter how often you tell him!

So the kids had been playing outside quite nicely for awhile. Suddenly about 5:30 Cynthia comes charging in with that distinct tone of voice that something was definitely wrong. I raced out and Jason had already picked himself up and started for the stairs, with blood pouring down the back of his head!

As I put the story together, he was playing on this ramp, and in coming down slipped off the edge and fell. He cut the back of his head on something, perhaps the edge of the wood, as he went. He had a 1" gash on the back side.

I'm a calm type parent...no hysterics or anything. Took him to the bathroom with a dishtowel in hand and with water wiped him up a bit. He did NOT like this part!! Calmed him down, determined we were in for a trip and quickly put together a diaper bag with treats (it was dinner time) and juice cups for him and sister. Called DH who was on the motorcycle and couldn't answer the phone and left him messages. After that called MIL who lives not too far away...and she was going to meet me at the hospital to care for DD while I deal with DS.

When I got to hospital, DS was asleep (naptime in the car) and DH was already there. They took us in fairly quickly, and ultimately Jason slept until they needed to check his pupils. Then two staples later and we were done!

Got home about 8pm with dinner in hand. And then DS in my lap until he fell asleep. He slept all night, surprisingly, and seems to be doing fine today. Staples will stay in for a week and then need to be taken out by the pediatrician.

Nothing like a little excitement! Kind of a little surprised it's taken 2 1/2 years to get to this point with him...hopefully, it will be some time before the next adventure like this! !LOL

Comments (17)