SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lopaka_mikale

OT: Road Trip

lopaka_mikale
15 years ago

I am in the passenger seat of my van, just into the bad-lands of Texas... I-10, just west of San Antonio. Heading from West Palm Beach to Phoenix, AZ. This is day two of a three-day drive. Past thru Houston at about 9:30 this morning, thinking about you lovely ladies of Texas (you know who you are), thinking how nice it would be to visit. No time... gotta keep moving... gotta take care. El Paso tonight... Phoenix tomorrow!

Been real busy the past few weeks, getting ready for this trip (work), so I haven't been posting much. I have been stealing a moment, here and there, to peak in and see what's going on though. I'll start working, as soon as I get to Phoenix. Will be there for a week, and then the three-day drive home. Hopefully, I'll be a little bit more regular on here, after that. I was happy to be able to offer my name suggestions to Brenda, while tooling along at 80mph!

Anyway... feel the love, cause' I'm sending it... from mile-marker 488! Man Texas is big!!!

Bob

Comments (26)

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

So nice to hear from you Bob. We know you are a hard working traveling man and still take time to *check in* here and there. Have a safe trip to your destination.

YEAH TX IS HUGE lol.

I was wondering why the air out their feels different lol

Lucy

• bri_fl
    15 years ago

Hey Bob! Hope you have a safe trip! How are your cuttings going to make it without you! Whenever anyone posts about a trip, all I can think about is what cool local plants they can get.
    I've been dying for some Lithops!

• Related Discussions

Lake Erie road trip with kids?

Q

Comments (19)
    We all had a wonderful time. Thanks for all the tips! We visited Kent, Columbus, and Sandusky in Ohio, Presque Isle in PA, and Niagara Falls and Corning in NY. Zoombezi Bay (Columbus) and Cedar Point (Sandusky) water parks were huge hits with the kids. Everyone liked Jolly Donut, and we also found a great pizza restaurant, Brick Oven Pizza, with standard pies for the kids and grownup pies for the adults. We stayed at Cedar Point's budget hotel but agreed that if we go again, we would like to stay at either the camping resort or the Hotel Breakers. The beach at Cedar Point is pretty nice too. In Kent we toured the shooting site. There is a series of explanation plaques of what happened in chronological order. However, the plaques are not in geographical order and there is no walking path. Get a good map before you go and be prepared to zoom all over a common and around a building. The campus has not changed that much since the shootings so it really drives home how shocking the shootings were. Next time, we'll do Presque Isle differently. We camped as the most COVID- and kid-friendly lodging option. Lampe Campground is extremely clean and quiet but has no shade or wind protection. Our tent almost collapsed on us! Luckily, the Watkins Glen KOA made up for the Presque Isle tent disaster. Two pools, a bouncy pillow, mini golf, and lots of kids to play with. We visited the Corning Museum of Glass, which was AMAZING. If you go, be sure to book yourself in for a make-your-own-glass-project workshop!
    ...See More

Provenza floors: Sweet Talker or Road Trip?

Q

Comments (59)
    I bought more than needed and have 19 unopened boxes of Provenza LVP Moda living sweet talker. The flooring is absolutely beautiful installed throughout my home. I couldn’t be happier with this flooring! If anyone is interested in north or north east Texas please let me know!
    ...See More

Does Provenza Road Trip lean more towards White Oak or Maple?

Q

Comments (1)
    Wood for what ? You need to wait until it arrives to see how it looks in your space with your lighting .
    ...See More

PROVENZA ROAD TRIP MODA LIVING

Q

Comments (6)
    Hello! We only need 60 sq feet for our stairs - would love to purchase if available! Located in illinois
    ...See More
  • jumpin4joy
    15 years ago

Stay safe.

• lopaka_mikale
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Two 14-hour days of driving... Not bad. Its actually enjoyable. Will have about seven hours of driving into Phoenix tomorrow.
    I have a good friend along to help out with the driving, so the miles go by pretty easily... Even that 550-mile stretch between San Antonio and El Paso. Never been to El Paso before, so I am looking forward to seeing it in daylight, on my way out in the morning. My hotel room looks out over the lights of the city, and Mexico beyond.

Hi Bri... long time! Nice to hear your pretty voice! All of the cuttings look great! I am planning on taking a couple of pics, when I get home. Not to worry... They seem to take care of themselves, just fine. My wife is not a plant person, but is keeping an eye on them while I am away. She's been instructed to give them a little sip, a couple of times.

I always think I am going to find some cool plants, when I am away, but I never have the oportunity. I've never heard of Lithops, so I had to Google them. How cool are they? I guess I'll need to find an on-line seller. Need to be carefull, not to start a new obsession!

Thanks for tv well wishes.
    Bob

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Have a great trip Bob and find me this heart shaped vine while you are there with white flowers and red in the middle. Blood of christ or tears of christ or something like that, lol. They say a lot of the people from mexico associate them with something to do with christ. Now I have set you upon your quest with so few clues and we shall see if you have become the master or are still grasshopper, lol. Have fun Bob!

• lopaka_mikale
    Original Author
    15 years ago

First morning In Phoenix. Spent the evening, last night, setting up two editing systems, and working out all the bugs. Now for a full week of editing... day and night! Haven't seen any Brugs the entire trip!

Began my quest, while still on the road, yesterday, Kristy. First stop was to the all- knowing entity, Google. I was turned away, being told not to return until I had the witch's broom-stick, and more specific information. Dead-end!

Off to work.

Bob

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

LMAO!!!! too funny! Hope you have a safe trip Bob!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    15 years ago

Sounds like a fun trip. Everytime I drive across Texas to Phx. it seems like it is in the summer and something always happens to go wrong with the air conditioning!
    At least it is a little cooler this time of year lol!
    Phx is usually nice in the fall/early winter before all the smog/pollution settles into the valley for the winter. My mom says they are out of the 100's F. in the daytime, at least now (grin)! Half our family lives there now and most of the rest still live in So. Cal. so I get over there quite often.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

Kristy, I have the plant you want, it is called a bleeding heart, I got mine in Corpus Christi at Turners Nursery. If you want one I can send one of them to you. I have planted 7 so far, but I have 3 more, I just mailed one to Kylie, she should have gotten it on Saturday. I also have the other color, the purple and red one, but I just have the one plant but it is about 4 foot tall, I can send cuttings off that one. I got it at the Corpus Botantial Gardens. I think you will have to bring it in for the winter. It is the most beautiful vine that I have, also the chalace vine is really pretty, I got that at the botantial gardens also. You need to come to it next April, it is really nice. Linda Collins, is one of the people in charge of it, and she has done an excellent job. Barbra

• lopaka_mikale
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Break time, while the computer does some of the work without me. Pulling an all-nighter, so we have some finished videos, for the PGA officers to review, in the morning.

Thanks, Daniella.

Kristy... I have succeeded in my quest. Barbra has some of the Bleading Heart vines (I discovered the name, as well!). Shoot her an email, and I'm sure she will be happy to send you one. Thanks for the assist, Barbra. Ha! The master, and still champion!

Enough dragon-slaying for me... more pressing work to be done.

Bob

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Roflmao, Bob. Thanks for your hard work in the quest of the unknown plant, lol. Barbra thank you so very much. I would love to have a cutting whenever you have time. I have been having my brain scrambled trying to work out some things on the greenhouse. Hubby and I agree on nothing when it comes to building unless one of his friends makes the same suggestion later then its a great idea, lol. Lord let me survive getting this thing built. I am at work today. Only reason I had time to get on here and check anything, lol. Glad you had a good trip Bob don't work too hard, lol. You are still my favorite dragon slayer.

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Bob you keep it up and we have to bow down when you appear rofl.
    You made Kristy very happy I am sure of it.

Kristy I sure miss you a lot. That is why I hope you get done soon too lol AND that you get to rest more!!!

hugs
    Lucy

• lopaka_mikale
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am happy to have pleased, kristy. My trip is still in the early stages, as I will not be leaving for home until Monday... then the three-day drve back. As for not working hard: Yesterday was a 24.5-hour day, ending at 8:00 this morning... out of bed at noon, and back to it! Hopefully, today won't end after sun-up tomorrow. At least I have time to leave the edit suit, step out onto the balcony, with my cigar, and check on dear friends.

Until that next cigar...

Bob

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

thank god for smoke breaks :-)

So glad you get to come by and take a breather here and there and relax with us so you can knock out hard work you got to do.

Lucy

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

You know you can run by and help me finish up this greenhouse on your way back, lol. Not far from San Antonio just a couple hours if I tell you the short cut, lol. I miss my forum friends. Took a break tonight to come visit. I was having withdrawals. See you can swing by here and abuse your muscles by moving heavy things and meet Patecake and Lucy then you can swing north and go see Kylie and have a good road trip, lol. All work and no play isn't good for you. I do a lot of coffee breaks during the day. I need to switch to alcohol. I get more done that way, lol. You can even smoke cigars while you help us, lol. John doesn't get home from work now til after dark. Why do they have to do the daylight saving time thing. I need all my daylight in the evenings, lol. Now that we have quit argueing about how to level the thing I can actually get some more work done on it I hope.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

Bob, I live in San Antonio, NW side, by the medical center, just a few blocks form IH-10, I work at the USAA Ins. Co, you go right by it. So, if you go to Kristys, let me know and I can meet you somewhere, and give you the bleeding heart vine. If not, Kristy you will have to wait for aleast a week or two, I am going to the coast this friday, Sat. and Sunday, and next week I am going to take off Wed, Thrus and Fri, and go finish painting that house. So I will be very busy. Barbra,

• lopaka_mikale
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm here, Lucy. Not neccessary to bow! A little curtsey (sp?), perhaps?

How much would I like a day filled with back-breaking work, and big cigars? Wish I could, Kristy. It looks as though you have the gh project well in hand, though. I do wish I could run by for a visit. I will have my client with me on the drive home. I can only imagine his reaction, when I inform him that we will be taking a few-hour side-trip, to see a gardening pal! He'll probably ask If I'd like to hit some bead store along the way! Looks like you will need to depend on the postman, this time, Barbra! I will probably stay the night in San Antonio, but won't arrive until about 10:00pm. That first leg is a long one!

bob

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Lol, tell them we are all hotties and love beads and maybe he will want to come buy and we can load you up with plants instead of working you like a dog, lol. Thanks Barbra, no hurry. Had a little setback on the funds for the greenhouse so its slower going now. I managed to sell a couple of thing this afternoon so I feel much better. Now I can go get the rest of the wood I need.

• lopaka_mikale
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The work is done, now it is all about the getting home! A 4:00am start today in Phoenix, will end in about an hour, in Houston. Another long day of driving will put me in my own bed tomorrow... One day early! Can't wait. Cut the grass and check on the plants Wednesday, then 3 days work for another client, fly to DC Sunday, to go visit the president with the victorious US Ryder Cup team. Perhaps a day off next week to get some serious yard work done!

Bob

• threas
    15 years ago

Whoa, Bob! Slow down! LOL... I'm glad you will be back home soon, even if just for a short spell. Your job sounds very demanding! Makes you love your home & GARDEN that much more.
    Looks like you will be slowing down to smell the roses & smoke a few cigars.LOL...

Theresa

• lopaka_mikale
    Original Author
    15 years ago

8:00am: Lafayette, LA. Left Houston at 4:20, pouring rain, road construction, truck spray, oncoming head lights, client asleep in the passenger seat... what fun! Cracker Barrel and diesel, and back on the road, in about an hour. Its a good day though, as it is the anniversary of Lucy's birth!

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Mike, thanks for taking us on your trip! Home sweet home is up ahead!

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Mike you went on a road trip also? rofl. I guess we are all at that age roflmao.

Bob you know that is Texas for ya lol. Have a safe trip back home. Are you always on the road that much?

Technology today is great isn't it. :-)

Lucy

• hong2007
    15 years ago

What's type of job do you do Bob? That is a lot of driving. I would love to have a job where I can go everywhere.

• lopaka_mikale
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lucy, you are funny. I totally understand, as Mike is on eveyone's mind, lately.

There is quite a bit of travel, but this trip was unusual. We had to bring two editing systems. Way too much gear to travel by plane. With camera and lighting gear, it filled my large Sprinter, cargo van from top to bottom, front to back. It is nice to be able to sit here in the van or a restaurant, and chat with all.

Hong... I have a small video and television production company. A great deal of my business is for the PGA of America, through a larger production company. We are on our way home from Phoenix, where the PGA just had their annual meeting. If you saw, or smelled, the rat-hole motel we ended up in last night, you wouldn't think travel so glamorous. Our own fault... We just kept driving, till we could drive no more, then found all the hotels booked up. Fortunately, we only stayed for a long nap.

Bob

• lopaka_mikale
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Made it home at midnight. Heading to the office now, to unload the van and set up the editing systems. My cuttings went crazy while I was gone. I can't believe the growth. I'll try to get some pics, later, when I should be doing something else!

Thanks for the company, during the trip.
    Bob