SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Are rain shower heads and body sprays worth putting in?

kaysd
11 years ago

I need to buy shower fixtures for our master bath remodel that is supposed to start at the beginning of August. We are putting a walk-in shower in place of the current tub/shower combo. It is in a 3-sided alcove that is 59" wide x 41" deep x 8' high. The 59" back wall has a 3' W x 18" H window. The front 59" "wall" is glass. I already purchased a Thermasol steam generator at a great price when a local chain went out of business. We used a Hansgrohe Raindance hand shower on a 36" slide bar in our last house and loved it, so we are using one of those again. DH thinks that is all we need since that set-up worked for us before. I think it might be nice to have a second shower head, since we have to take turns under the water on the mornings that we shower together, and I get a little chilly waiting for my turn in winter. I am also considering body sprays, because I have a lot of pain in my lower back.

Do shower body sprays actually help with back pain like hot tub jets do? I am not interested in horizontal sprays of water if all it does is get me wet from a different angle. I can slide the hand shower down the bar and tilt it to massage my back and that works pretty well. I don't know if the small body sprays have the same forceful water pressure.

I have never tried a rain shower head. Is it a really gentle spray? I want to make sure there is enough water pressure to get shampoo out of my long hair. (I really like the pressure of the Raindance 5" hand shower head.) Kohler offers identical looking models of both rain shower heads and body sprays with "soothing spray" or "stimulating spray." I have no idea which to pick without trying them. I want a decent amount of water pressure, but not a pelting or stinging spray. It would be nice to have a shower head or body spray where you can adjust the type of spray.

The rain shower head will cost $660 in parts and 3 body sprays will cost almost $500 in parts, plus extra plumbing costs, so I have to decide if it is worth it to put in one or both extra features. As I am typing this, I am starting to talk myself out of getting either, because I am not sure how often we will use them. The main reason for getting them might be re-sale, as I wonder if it would seem strange to have a steam shower in a master bath that has only 1 shower head.

To put things in context, the house is expensive because of the neighborhood and view. The master bath was a real sore spot when we bought the house 2 years ago, because it is small and not at all luxurious. (When you walk in, there is a toilet, then a 42" vanity, then the tub/shower.) We are stealing a little bit of space from the bedroom so that there will be a 6' vanity with 2 sinks, and the toilet and shower will be separated from the rest of the bath by a pocket door. There is no way to make the bathroom large enough for a tub (there is one in the hall bath). I am considering whether adding some "luxury" items to the shower, like body sprays and a second shower head, will make the house easier to resell when the time comes. I don't want to waste money with items we don't need, but it sure is a lot easier to add items now while the walls are open.

WWYD? (Thanks if you read this far -- sorry for rambling.)

Comments (17)