SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardurnit

Text to speech - need ideas

gardurnit
14 years ago

Opera Browser 8 and 9 , Vista Home, 600gb, 4gb ram

Opera in V 8 added a speech , text to speech 'engine' which worked. Then in version 9 it was improved and

it's, in my opinion, as good or better than any other I've heard.

But I can't always use Opera to read what I want. Like a PDF file .. and if I'm reading I can't browse as

going off the page stops reading.

Since I like the Opera reader voice is there a way that I can have my computer read in that voice?

I'm computer savvy so anything you point me to I'll know about. I've tried a few trials but none were useful.

They were not as good quality

They were hard to operate

They had so many features it made it hard to learn it.

Opera , in contrast, you highlight any text you want read and press 'speech' and it reads.

I would consider two things.

A. A web based reader. Where I could upload to a site and the site then read something to me. I'd be willing to convert

PDF files maybe if it worked.

B. A downloadable software.

Here's what I've tried and did not like.

Textaloud - words were not as clear as Opera and it was more trouble than it was worth for all of the button pushing. Not a lot

but every day over and over... Something simple , highlight and read, or read 30% of page .. etc would all work great for me.

ATT - Some product from ATT or uses ATT engine. They give you the samples and test setup but you pay for extras and the

quality of the 'extras' was bad. I don't get this.. when I listen to text spoken on NOAA or WWV or other text to speech they

sound good. Call 1-800-555-1212 and it reads things really well. I realize those were probably tweaked to handle the

100 or so words. But the 800-555-1212 works really well for every goofy word I could throw at it. *

There are others but they're limited. This one does 500 characters... not enough

http://www.text2speech.org/

http://www.nextup.com/

This was the one you paid for 'better' voices. I didn't care for them.

Thanks for any help. THere's a lot I have not mentioned because it's 'too much' I've spent perhaps 30 hours looking in depth

for something 'good' but nothing yet seems good enough.. I'll bet it's out there.

It's 800 information . You tell it what you want and it reads what it has to you. If it doesn't have a listing it clearly speaks the

requested name back to you in its voice.

Comments (2)